Air filter comparisons?

I've heard to NEVER use a K&N filter on more than one occasion. I've recently been told that especially in high dust areas that they are especially bad.

What are the filtering facts on these? particle size filtered? I saw something about 10-20 microns on their site being bad for a motor, but didn't see anything about what they have the ability to filter.

I own a K&N, but don't have it installed. I have a WIX where that K&N is to fit. I've been told that AFE filters, similar to the kn style are a much better product, but don't have facts on those, either.

Can someone offer up information of links to find this information?

Thanks, Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

I got a k&n with my Banks system for my 6.5 TD and ran it for a while until a guy I got some turbo parts from told me to get it out because the dirt will begin to eat away at the prevailing edges of the turbo fins. I did, indeed, put my WIX back in.

Reply to
Snowman

After reading that kinda makes me wanna take the K&N that came with my truck out and put a Wix back in.........

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Snow,

Aside from the fact that they allow hella dirt into your motor, the "performance" benefit isn't even there. I did the math on the ng a few months back. Essentially the extra cfm's the K&N flows over paper can't even be used by a naturally aspirated engine. The paper elements already flow more cfm's than a naturally aspirated engine can suck in; the extra 400 cfm's the K&N flows are just useless.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Gary Glaenzer

K&N cannot comment on tests conducted by this person since we have no way to confirm or validate his statements about how he performed them (or if in fact he did). We can only tell you our findings when we had our filters tested.

Our filters are tested by an outside, independent laboratory. They have been proven to stop at least 99% of particles on a SAE dust test. This test uses particles as low as the 0 - 5 micron range and goes up to 20 microns. For comparison, a paper filter also stops 99% on the same test and the OEM minimum standard is 96%. Foam is generally the worst media with a typical efficiency rating of 75 - 85%.

The testing procedure used is SAE J-726 using ISO Test Dust. This test is the standard of the air filter industry. The test procedure consists of flowing air through the filter at a constant rate (airflow rate is determined by the application) while feeding test dust into the air stream at a rate of 1 gram per cubic meter of air. Links to the filtration tests are on our web site at

and
the filter loads with dust the pressure drop across the filter isincreased to maintain the prescribed airflow rate. The test is continueduntil the pressure drop increases 10" H2O above the initial restriction ofthe clean element (in this case .78" to 10.78" H2O). At this point the testis terminated. The dirty filter element is then weighed. This weight iscompared to the clean element weight to determine the total Dust Capacity.The amount of dust retained by the filter is divided by the total amount ofdust fed during the test to determine the Cumulative Efficiency. The K&N filter achieved the following results:

Dust Capacity: 305 grams

K&N Cumulative Efficiency: 99.05 % K&N Initial Pass Efficiency: 97.11 %

OEM Paper Cumulative: 99.29 % OEM Paper Initial Pass: 96.47 %

Holding the filter to the light is useless, pin holes are normal. That is what makes a K&N filter. There are actually dozens of microscopic fibers that cross these holes that when treated with oil become somewhat transparent but still capture and hold the very fine particles. Spray WD-40 on a piece of paper and it will be transparent too. On the same hand, they allow the filter to flow more air than paper or foam. The filter is 4 ply cotton gauze unlike some competitors synthetic material filters. The synthetics do not have the very small fibers that natural cotton does. Also, the oil can be pulled off of a foam filter contaminating electronic sensors. It will absorb into cotton and stay in the media.

We got started over 30 years ago making filters for motorcycles and off road racers. The filters did so well that these guys wanted them for their cars and trucks. We started making filters for these applications and here we are today. If they did not work, we would not still be here and growing every year.

We now make filters for Chrysler/Mopar, Ford Motorsports, Edelbrock, Rotax Engines, and Harley Davidson. We come as original equipment on the 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra-R. We even made filters for the Apache helicopters used in Desert Storm because of maintenance problems with the original paper design. Now we are on the new unmanned Predator plane being used in Afghanistan.

I hope this answers any question you have about our filters ability to perform.

Customer Service

K&N Engineering, Inc.

The statement above is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and is not to be publicized, republished, copied or repeated unless done so in its entirety. If you are not a named recipient, you are also on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. You must not disclose it to any other person, copy or distribute it or use it for any purpose.

Reply to
Jeff

Convincing!!! Now where is the link to the 'independent's lab that supposedly did the test?

Reply to
Shades

My question is why is K&N customer service e-mailing us from a HOTMAIL account? That certainly doesn't lend any credibility to this fellas' post..............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

that is what k&N emailed me I sent it on from a hotmail account I t originally came from "Tech Support"

Reply to
Jeff

He he he he, ok, it looked as though YOU were the K&N support agent posting directly to the ng. Sorry for the confusion.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

NO problem I am Just as curious as the next cause I have a new 350 with a K&N in it and thought about taking it out still haven't yet I am not really convinced either way

Reply to
Jeff

Put it this way, the extra CFM's your K&N flows can't be used by the engine anyways. Paper filters flow around 15% more than a stock engine can use, K&N's around 55% more cfm's than can be used. So if it's a matter of performance, they do nothing, and if there is even a hint that they don't filter all that well, I'd be yankin' it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"