Automatic to Manual 4x4 conversion

I have a GMC Sierra Classic 1500. It is currently an automatic and I am wanting to convert it to a standard 4x4. I am unsure of the steps to do it or how expensive it will be or if it is even worth doing. I know there will be a lot of cutting and welding I just dont know how much. If anyone knows of the difficulty and the steps in doing this please let me know.

Reply to
megawatts

Not really worth it unless you have a LARGE budget. You will need just about every piece from the pilot bushing to the transfer case. Regearing front and rear diffs as well. You would be better off selling or trading into a stick if that is what you want.

Reply to
Steve W.

Actaully it is not that bad to do if you find a wrecked or rusted out donor truck for drive train parts. If you do you can bolt together in a few days at most. If you have to do it a piece at a time, it can get pricey.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I have an old Jimmy that was a standard 4x4. I am not sure of the year but I do know that the two trucks are pretty close together. The motor was wrecked but the transmission axles and transfercasing should all be good. I did not know if i would be able to transfer them all over or not.

Reply to
megawatts

If it is a 67 thru 87 it will transfer over gearbox wise and if it is a 73 thru 87 the cross member and other parts will swap over too. There was basically no change in frames from 73 to 87. They changed tcase style in 81 but if you are using tcase and tranny and crossmember it will bolt right in.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

How much work would be involved in installing the front axle. The truck I want to put it in was not a 4x4 only two wheel drive.

Reply to
megawatts

I have the information on it. The Jimmy is a 78 and my truck is an 82. The Jimmy is an automatic not a standard as I thought.

Reply to
megawatts

It is doable with a donor truck because the basic frame is the same you will just have to unbolt and remove front suspension on 2wd and then drill out rivet hold spring perch hardware on donor vehicle and bolt them to your truck with grade 5 hardware or better. If you have good tools (especailly some good air tools) some jacks and room to work and a extra set of hands it is really not that hard to do because it is basically a bolt on thing. (just lots of bolting) Older chevier are about the easiest to do this to (not that any of them is easy) but I would not even try this without a donor vehicle.

SnoMan

Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
megawatts