Better, Easier To See With Halogen Lights

I have the factory 55 watt halogen lights in my truck. They work fairly well, but I would like better visibility at night.

I have seen Cool Blue Lights, Silver Stars, and what appears to be a regular halogen light except that its 100 watts instead of 55 watts.

I would like to know what type of halogen light gives the best visibility at night.

Is there any adverse effect on my truck using a different light? Which of these aftermarket lights are legal vs illegal?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Per Dave:

To the driver or people coming from the other direction?

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

I have heard both sides of the Cool Blue lights...Never heard of Silver Stars...and 100W low beams will only get high beams flashed at you until you get pulled over and are issued a ticket!

HID lights are an expensive route but are pretty much unbeatable! TRUE HID lights that is...the ones with many components and a hefty price tag!

Shades

I would stay away from the higher wattage bulbs because they draw too much power and could melt the wiring harness.

I've found that pretty much all the cheap no-name "xenon" bulb-type brands look "whiter" and crisper, but they don't necessarily illuminate the road in front of you any farther, especially in wet weather. They just light up all the traffic signs really well and piss oncoming traffic off. I've gone full-circle after trying all sorts of different bulbs and now just use the cheap xtra-vision bulbs from Schucks. They don't look hyper white, or xenon white or any other catchy-word white but they do a better job than OEM bulbs. I am going to try the Silverstars for myself very soon...Schucks has told me that if I don't like them I can return them...which is unusual for bulbs. I would recommend you try that if specify up front that you want to bring them back if you're not happy.

I've tried PIAA xtreme whites, Eurolites, Eaglites, Cool Blues and a few other no-name brands and not only do they NOT last very long, but I was extremely disappointed in their ability to define objects far away like you would expect, especially on high beams. I honestly believe they're mostly hype and their major selling point is the fact that they "look" similar to HIDs. Most buyers I've spoken to care more about how their car looks with them rather than how well they light up the road. Just my .02.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Super Blue's will serve you well, they have a coating on the bulb which gives a whiter, brighter light. I use them on my Chevy 4x4, my wifes Chevy van and my Kenworth W900L.

Reply to
Mad Dog

(Pete Cresswell) said

Super-bright headlights can be counterproductive if they blind the oncoming driver so much that he covers his eyes in agony and plows into you head on.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

I've sold and installed a number of true HID lighting kits in the last year. They make a HUGE difference in lighting output, and totally change the driveability of a vehicle at nite.

If you're really concerned about it, or are doing a lot of highway or other non-lit nite driving, consider a HID kit. A competent installer can have it working for you in a few hours...

As far as a straight bulb upgrade, I sell a lot of Eurolite product...especially the Super Plasma line. They are very white, with a slight tinge of blue (simulates the HID look I guess). Most customers who got them comment on the big difference they made.....

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

Reply to
Dave

Per Dave:

Therein lies the problem IMHO...

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Previous to this discussion, I have not heard of HID lighting kits. Can you tell me something about them?

Are they street legal?

Would you be able to recommend a source to buy them? What's all >I've sold and installed a number of true HID lighting kits in the last year.

Reply to
Dave

Mad Dog

Per Mad Dog:

One thing I read somethere - can't recall where, but it seemed authoritative - is that just putting Euro lights in an American car does not duplicate the Euro implementation.

Over there, they have something built into the lights or mounting assembly that compensates when the car is on a grade - lessening the blinding of oncoming drivers....but probably not doing much for the hapless pedestrian or bike rider...

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Yes, they are 100% street legal. Basically the retrofit kits have a "bulb" that is in the same style as the one your car uses now (9004, 9005, 9006,

9007, etc). You use your existing composite headlamp assembly and simply replace the halogen bulb with the HID "bulb". From there, they have interface harnesses to tap into the factory headlight wiring for triggering high and low beam. There are a couple of modules that need to be placed (ignitors and ballasts). The other consideration is "color". There are different color temperatures, 8000K, 10000K, etc. Each one has its own characteristics. I'm told that the 8000K is the most "common" on euro cars and is generally the most useful. Others may disagree....

I recommend and sell/install the Eurolite brand of 8000K HID kits. I've had great luck with them....do a google search. I'm sure there are all kinds of e-tailers out there that sell em. There are plent of HID "stores" as well that specialize in HID only. Do some searching, you'll find em. They explain the color temperature thing as well as the concept behind HID and how it works.

good luck!

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

True HID lights are NOT just BULBS they are the entire lens, reflector, ballast and wiring. Without replacing ALL of those parts you are just creating a mess. The beam pattern will be entirely wrong and you will probably fail inspections since they are NOT approved as replacement lamps.

Oh and they are not 100% street legal. Check the laws where you are. In NY conversion to HID is ONLY legal IF the vehicle was available with them from the factory. Just like E-Code lamps are NOT legal in most states either. Even though for the most part the E-Code lamps are much better they are NOT street legal in the US.

Reply to
Steve W.

E-Code lamps???

Reply to
Shades

I have to agree with Steve W. I was under the impression that aftermarket HIDs are not street legal...regardless of what the website says.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Euro Code - Light pattern is real nice and actually works. If you have ever seen some of the new motorcycle lights that have a high beam with a nice even pattern and a real horizontal cutoff on low, they are similar.

Reply to
Steve W.

huh....i've not heard of ANY issues in canada. perhaps the us is entirely different (wouldn't surprise me). All I know is that the kits that I use make a HELL of a difference in the lighting - both in quality and overall output.

I try and stay plugged into the local law enforcement racket, and stay ahead of "whats illegal". So far they're after the "tuner" kids running nitrous and racing....HIDs aren't even on the radar yet around here.

Reply to
Hamilton Audio