new lights

where can I find new headlights that have the new blue light bulb

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

To fit what ?

Randy

RSMEINER

Oh man, don't do it. I don't know anyone who likes to face those damned things.

Reply to
jjs

plus they're illegal in most states, blue and red lights are reserved for emergency vehicles only, you get a hefty fine for having them/get caught using them.

Reply to
Exille

I don't think the OP is talking about blue-blue lights, like on top of cop cars here in California, but those bluish-white headlights that look like an arc welder, and are about as pleasant to have shining in your eyes.

Don't get them. They're obnoxious.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Aside from the other obvious " they're annoying if someone else has them and they are coming at you..................My understanding is that they provide a much better view of things in the dark while driving.

I am assuming that you are not interested in gazing into them..............mmmmmmmmmcould be wrong I guess.

I have seen many ways of adapting the "blue lights"..............or XENON headlights. I haven't been able to find the ones I saw about a year or so back, that were a direct replacement globe, that you could use ones for a typical GM bulb in............plastic headlights seems like a good idea to me.

I think they were quite pricey when I last saw them also.

Good luck,.............And don't let the naysayers decide on what you want.................make your own decision.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

*unfortunately* these days, this is exactly how people think....ME ME ME......

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

May I further explain..................???

I believe that they'd be illegal if they were Dangerous.

I also believe that even a decent guy who doesn;t want to cause issues for others *could* have the same "blue lights". As they are not only available as a factory installed item..............they are also standard on some vehicles.

I don't like looking into them anymore than anyone else.However, I do realize that the popularity of the lights is not going to fall off unless they become unlawful to use...................kinda like loud stereos, which are much more annoying to me, as I drive more during the daytime than night , and often wind up sitting at traffic signals near someone who has a very heavy thump to share with all the cars around him/her,...................even those who turn their heads can't avoid the noise of that and loud exhaust systems.

In closing, I was not indicating that anyone in the group was wrong or right for their opinion on the "blue lights".................just making sure that I made the original poster aware that *his* opinion was the one to satisfy,.........not that of other folk, only because he didn;t ask where he could find a few opinions on whether to get them or not, but *where* to get them.

This link will get you near what you are looking for ..............for any car I think.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

......................I don't know what's legal or not, but I do know that some of them are dangerous. Some elderly drivers are especially impaired when looking at these things.

.......................Clearly, there's a need for legislation on this problem.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Legal or not, dangerous or not,..............Tim,...............Jeff was just askin' weher to get them.

That's all I was doing was trying to help answer a question.

I don't disagree with your thoughts and opinions on the subject.

I don't know how to go about pushing to make them illegal. But the blue lights, the loud pipes, and the mega stereos, should be regulated somehow,...................along with many other things that are not just annoying, but encroaching on others rights in at least some minor way, if not major.

To ensure you understand that I am not trying to cause trouble , I'd like to point back to the second sentence in this post. For that is the major content I offered , not an argument.

thanks

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Just a thought: The law is only one form of regulation. Perhaps a better one is the application of peer pressure. I believe we are seeing some right here in this thread.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Don't look *AT* the lights and you're fine. Looking directly at Xenon lights is very glare-ful (is that a word). If you look where you are supposed to be going they're OK. We have people flash their lights at our BMW with halogen ("projector") ellipsoid lights (not HID Xenon) because they think they are on high - these people look at the lights, instead of where they are going. I've done it myself. I bet they get a shock when I flash them back!

You cannot get replacement xenon globes that will give you the same light as the HID (high intensity discharge) setup. It is a complete system, not globes. Aftermarket kits cost around $1000 last I saw.

You can buy blue tnted globes which filter out light, and appear to have a blue glow. You will need to upgrade from a 55/60W to a 65/100W to get similar light from them. They filter out the light which isn't blue, so you have less output. Also, blue light refracts in such a way that blue is more difficult to focus on (Thats why the sky is blue - from the blue light refracting on particles ain the atmosphere) and it makes it harder to see.

The HID setup creates a very white light on the road, it's just the lens' which appear blue at times. The "blue lights" (replacement globes) emit blue light and cut visibility.

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

I'm only 36 and I nearly ran off the road the other night when going around a curve on a rural highway with those things coming toward me in the other lane. I wound up braking nearly to a stop very suddenly to avoid running off of the road, and I'm glad no one was just behind me at the time. They're dangerous. There are plenty of legal but dangerous things out there - I'm sure you must know a few smokers who own SUVs, dirt bikes and chain saws. I believe that part of the problem is that at least some aftermarket lights are of lower quality than the factory-shipped ones. The doggone things are so popular (despite their silly appearance) that (I've read) people who buy cars with them frequently find their headlights stolen, so clearly the real lights aren't easy to come upon as legitimate after-market parts.

Reply to
mez

...................I didn't think that you were doing anything wrong. I just happened to have a strong opinion about these Xenon and HID headlights and you and Jeff gave me a chance to spout off.

..........So long as we're still discussing it, I really hate it when a truck or SUV that sits high enough to have their lights at 'eye level' starts tailgating me at night with those HID lights. Even with the rearview mirror turned down, it's very annoying and distracting. I'd like to be able to release a thick cloud of black smoke or something out the backend but that's just a mindless thought I guess.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

no its not...but i have a better idea...get an old windshield washer fluid setup from the salvage yard...the ones from a ford or such that has the pump built in is best(i guess most of them are that way now)...also get a spray nozzle from your vehicle of choice....mount the nozzle under your rear bumper so it squirts upward, but not too much....mount the tank somewhere convenient....head down to your local lowes and buy a gallon of WD40 or a light machine oil(baby/mineral oil would work too)....next time someone gets *too* close hit the button....hehehe...they will likely just thing your car is a junker, but they will back off when they have to depleat their washer resovoir to smear their windshield up.....CAUTION: use at your own risk,....this is probably illegal and could quite possibly earn you an ass whipping at the next stop light....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

I agree with ya Tim.... i hate those lights and it definately has no place on a classic VW, old beetles and classic cars are suppose to have a soft warm glow about the head lights... : )

if any thing put the Hella Halogens in, i used to have some H4's with

65/100W ( i think) and they were super bright, i had to aim them a little low to keep from blinding oncoming traffic.

--

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Thier Territory."****************************************************************

What he is after is most likely the H4 bulbs that looks like a XENON from a distance, nothing clever about it, just a slight coat on the bulb giving it a blue tint.

XENON's(cut and paste) are not adaptable to non xenon(equipped) cars....

You can retrofit them in a few instances, like some beemers, but will set you back the price of a cheap VW...

J.

Reply to
BergRace