halogen headlights

I picked up some new headlights because the old ones had turned opaque. The bulbs sent with the headlights have a blue tinge and don't throw near enough light.

I need to find some good, bright, yellow halogen bulbs. What bulbs do you folks recommend? Ideally, I'd like to find something as bright (or brighter) than the typical Ford F150.

Reply to
Chuck Dubois

I run the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my truck and have never had a complaint. FYI white or blue light is brighter then yellow. Check out Sylvania's web site.

Reply to
azwiley1

It's an illusion, white or blue doesn't mean brighter. I had Sylvania SilverStar bulbs for a while too. First I was impressed by the whiteness compared to standard bulbs, later by the *extremely* short life. Junk!

I went to WalMart hoping for GE Night Hawk, they had none, so I settled for Sylvania Xtravision.

is worth reading.

You don't say what year or model truck you have. The 4-bulb "Sport" headlights were a great swap for my '01 Ram 1500, much nicer than the original 2-bulb setup.

Reply to
General Dog

I use Sylvania Xtravision bulbs and headlight relays. Very big improvement over factory equipment. The relays made the most noticable difference. I found Daniel Stern's blue headlight article interesting. Where has he been anyway? He hasn't posted anything here in a long time.

Headlight relays:

Nosey

Well, I can tell you from driving cross country repeatedly, that when I put the Silverstars in my truck, I had better clearity and illumination at night in areas where there was little to no light. As for longevity, I just replaced them after having been in there for 4 years. But whatever, to each his own.

Reply to
azwiley1

Amen on the Silverstars! I am pleased with their performance and longevity. The one of the right sde is the original bulb since new (four+ years) and the one on the left has been replaced twice due to deer strikes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

just because there's a deer near the highway or on it, doesn't mean you have to hit the poor thing mike!!

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Don't ya love it, can't hit with a gun, but give'em a truck and look out.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Ahem!! Three fer three with the Marlin this year, and one fer one with the Dodge... and you were saying..... ?

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Marlin?!? Winchester all the way!!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

My first Silver Star burnout came after just one year, and I hardly used them. There used to be a chart somewhere, I think on Sylvania's own site, that listed life expectancy of their various bulbs. The Silver Star's hours were much less than Xtravision or any of the other bulbs.

Reply to
General Dog

This is for a '96 2500. Are the '96 2500 Sport model headlights better than the regular model stock units?

Reply to
Chuck Dubois

Looks like a great read. Thanks!

Reply to
Chuck Dubois

Yes, but I changed to Sport headlights + relays + 10-gauge wiring + Silver Star bulbs all at once so I can't say how much improvement is attributable to what.

I think any year Sport headlight will fit any year of 2nd-generation truck, with a minor bit of plastic trimming necessary to fit earlier Sport light brackets on later model trucks. Alternately, it looked to me like the standard light brackets could be trimmed to accept Sport headlight shells.

Daniel Stern supplied my "RIK-RAM" relay kit, Sport headlights came from eBay. I went to Radio Shack for spiral wire wrap for a tidy mouse-resistant harness, and a plastic Project Box that I mounted atop the factory fuse box to house the new relays. 10-gauge wires were a struggle, I'd use #12 if I had to do it again.

Here's my headlight circuit:

it works! I think the switch on the dash runs cooler too, without the heavy amps running through it.

Reply to
General Dog

I believe you are correct.... it seems I also saw somewhere that Sylvania warns you that the Silverstars aren't as long lived as their other bulbs, but four years ain't bad for the extra light output.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Winchesters were fine firearms. My son has a sweet 9410 that he loves. Too bad they quit US production.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

correct.... it seems I also saw somewhere that Sylvania

Four years for lights that were almost ALWAYS on is something that I would not complain about. I hated that damn auto daytime running light set up on the Silvy, but at least on mine, when you disable it (by removing the bulb) it turns your heads on, all the time. They have been great for me, love the fact that I can see VERY well at night in the desert, so I won't change.

Reply to
azwiley1

What's wrong with Marlin??? I wish I still had my old Marlin 444, I loved shooting that thing

Reply to
azwiley1

Not a damned thing wrong with Marlin. I just like fucken with you guys..... Remember I'm sweet and innocent...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Look here Wabbit!! You want to be stuffed and on some ones mantel?

Reply to
azwiley1