Lights on the roof.

I know that if I have forward facing lights on my roof I shouldn't use them on the roads.. (not even with main beam?) How about rearward facing lights on the back of the roof for reversing? wired (via relay) with the existing reversing light? or via a switch? or are all roof mounted lights naughty on the Queens (Gordon Browns) highway?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

You can have pretty much whatever you like on the main beam but it's also best to have a seperate switch, even if they are on a relay with the main (full) beam circuit.

Via a switch is fine as they are then inspection or work lights. You should not have these wired to illuminate with the reversing light.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:38:11 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

I used to have 4x100watts on the front of my roof rack, found them very handy one foggy night heading north from york (back roads) as I could only see when using the roof lights (go figure)..

but I can switch them on manually for reversing without upsetting PC busybody? that's handy.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

In article , Mr. Nice. writes

I use two 55 watt work lamps on the rear of my 90 that are controlled via a three position switch

1 off

2 on with reverse lamps

3 on all the time.

This gives you the best of both worlds and when offroading at night you can leave them on all the time which is great for squeezing through tight gaps and gateways you can see what the back of the car is doing through the mirrors.

Reply to
marc

Twas Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:56:54 +0000 when marc put finger to keyboard producing:

I just have to find a Land Rover to put them on now ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

you can put any lights you want on, as long as they are not red on the front - (and you can dip them)

Reply to
Denis F

My to do list includes a pair of rear facing lights and intended having them on a sep switch but I like the idea of the 3 way.

Reply to
pl.white

One thing you do need to look out for is reflections from rooflights during daylight, or at night when they are not switched on, blinding oncoming drivers. I kept getting flashed until I worked out why, because my roof lights are angled for an area about 25-30 feet in front of the vehicle. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

On or around Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:22:21 -0000, "pl.white" enlightened us thusly:

if you have manual switching of reversing lights or worklights, make sure it puts on a decent warning light on the dash. legal requirement for reversing lights at least, probably ditto worklights.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Slighty OT but . . .

WIPAC make a bolt-on combined Main and Dip beam unit. I have wondered about fitting a pair wired so that I can have the following options:

[1] Existing Dip or Main beam only [2] Existing Dip and New Dip or Existing Main and New Main [3] Existing Dip or Existing Dip and New Main beam

IIRC [1] and [3] are OK. But what about [2]? It would give me 4 dip beam lights at 55W each. Is this legal? I have seen (old BMWs) tarted up with 4 rectangular headlamps, each of which was a combined dip/main unit.

The idea is to improve non-Main beam illumination.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

the relevant bits of the lighting regs state "if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1991 no more than 2(two) dipped beam headlamps can be fitted" and more relevant "maximum height above ground 1200mm" unless pre 1952

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Could be an interesting way of persuading annoying fog/driving light users to think again though......

Reply to
pl.white

You're allowed them with main beam. There is a max height of 1200mm from the ground for dipped beam headlights, but your main beam you can have as many as you like and place them wherever you like. As long as they dip when you dip your headlights, you shouldn't have an issue.

On my 110 I have a pair of the funny oval shaped driving lamps mounted on the front bit of the Ifor Williams canopy that sticks up above the cab roof (my 110 is a truck cab). I have them on a 3 position switch much as someone else has mentioned on the thread, i.e.:

Middle position is "off" Up position is "on" Down position is "on with main beam", which is where it is normally.

The fact that the "on" position is there might make it technically illegal, but I'm not too worried about that.

I was initially not sure if the lights would be any use there (thought they might light up the cab roof more than the road), but they work a treat and it's nice to be able to see where I'm going at night...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

|| As || long as they dip when you dip your headlights, you shouldn't have an || issue.

Shouldn't this read "As long as they *go off* when you dip your headlights, you shouldn't have an issue"?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ah, so on my 1988 Range Rover . . . . . . . . I can add 2 x 55W dip beam units to the bumper, giving 4 x 55W of dip beam???

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Yes. Oops.