COOL BLUE HALOGEN SEALED BEAM?

A co-worker of mine recently purchased a new Chrysler 300, personally I'm not that impressed with it but one thing I really like is the headlamps. They seem to give off a whiter/brighter slightly bluish light.

Is there any way to replace my '89 XJ headlamps with something similar? I looked at quadratec and found the Sylvania H6054 Cool Blue, will they give me the same effect, or close to it?

I also did a google group search on blue halogens and a found a lot of negative opinions but many of those threads were from '98, has anything change since then.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

High theft rate.

Reply to
griffin

Well I'm in a really remote small town so I'm not to worried about that. So I guess my main question is still open: will these lights give me the same effect as my friends Chrysler 300 and if not are their any out there that will.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

Here is a good comparison of specs, watts, light output, etc., for Sylvania headlights. I personally think the Cool Blue sealed beams are just a gimmick. I much prefer the Xtra Vision or for the brightest, whitest light, the Silverstars.

I have the Silverstars and they are whiter, but the downside is the relatively short bulb life. My first pair lasted only about one year.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

We had the Cool Blue lights on my wife's '94 Cherokee. They really don't appear that much different than a regular halogen sealed beam, but I didn't like the light they put out at night. I couldn't seem to see as well. I leave for work at 5:45am and get home about 7pm, so most of the year I drive at least half of each way in the dark. I've got a set of the Xtra Visions on my '95 YJ, and I think they put out a lot more light. Also the extended life is a plus.

I almost got these the last time, but the price difference put me off. Are they really worth the extra money?

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

I had an $700.00 set on my TJ for about a week. I was out on the town one night and when I came out of the restaurant poof they were gone, I also live in a small town.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

I'm on my second set of Silverstars. They are definitely whiter, but I'm not sure they are much brighter when compared to the Xtra Vision. Depending on how long this new set of Silverstars last, I may go with the Xtra Vision next time. The Xtra Vision seems like it's a good balance between extra bright and long life, when compared to a standard halogen.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

You have to watch some of the 'blue' lights, they are not street legal in lots of places.

In my opinion if you want to 'really' boost your headlight power, wire them with a fused relay only using the stock wiring for the relay trigger.

Doing this has made a 'radical' difference in my 86 CJ7 and also just about doubled the output of a friend's TJ lights too.

My lights went almost as white as my Hella Black Magics! No more yellow to white changes when turning on the big driving lights.

If you put a multimeter on the back of the headlight when it is on, you likely will only see 12.0 volts or even lower like the TJ which had

11.8V or so. I don't know how come the TJ was crap, we suspect the shitty computer's regulator but the older switches have high resistance and eat power up.

A Halogen bulb only has 67% light output with 12.15V and 100% light with

13.5V.

If you use a new 10 ga. fused wire from the battery or the first main connection on the power distribution box to a relay then to the lights, suddenly you will have 14+ volts or full alternator output!

The high and low beam sets each need their own relay.

Mike

Mike Romain

there was a post about a month(?) ago about someone who's upgraded lights were stolen while they were in a restaurant, and the jeep was outside.

-Steve, former 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp

Yeah, well, I think I'll stick with the Xtravisions, and replace my ol' ladies regular halogens with 'em when the time comes. By the time I add a set of fog lights on the bumper, I'll have that much more time to see the deer before they jump out in front of me again.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

Especially if you aim them high enough to blind on-coming drivers.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I would suggest the StarBrite (?) line of lights that recently came out. They cost more than the blue lights, but they are much whiter and briter than previous versions of halogen lights. And, blue lights wreak of "rice burner."

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The "Cool Blue" sealed beams are just a little whiter than a regular halogen bulb. In fact when you look at them, you hardly notice the difference until you put them side by side with another vehicle with regular halogen bulbs. However, I really could tell the difference when I was driving the Cherokee, and I didn't like 'em, but maybe it's just my old eyes.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

I really like good lights, and have been running the high output halogens in my Cherokee (and Champ pickup) for years. Recently one of them went out so I took a good hard look at those Sylvania blue lights. When you compare the output and power figures it looks like all they are is regular halogen lamps with a blue tint and a higher price. I passed and just bought a replacement lamp.

Has anyone had any problem with these things leaking? One of mine looks like it has some moisture in it, but it still seems to work OK.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:48:47 -0800 in , "Jeff Strickland" graced the world with this thought:

actually, I was going to go with low rider, but what the hell.

Reply to
bizbee

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III