1992 S10 motor advice

I have a 1992 S10 Blazer with 312,000 miles on it. The body is still pretty good. Excellent paint, just some rust starting to appear finally.

Entire suspension is new, interior is almost perfect. I want to keep driving it since it's paid for.

I've always considered putting in a V8, but after seeing all the work and weird sh&* that needs done, I think I will stick with a 4.3. I have a coworker who's dad's truck has a 4.3 with over 300K. He hit someone with it and it's now parked, but still runs. I can have it for next to nothing. This will allow me to slowly build a new motor for mine.

What can I do to the 4.3 to give it more power? I can get most of the machine work done for free. (well, lots of beer anyway) New cam, port the heads? Bore it out? I want fairly good mileage but would like to have some more punch. Can someone list all the things I can do as it's being built to add more power or torque? I drive a LOT on the interstate, and pull a camper occasionally.

Should I put a shift kit in the tranny? What things can be done there? Would I need a customchip programmed for the mods I do?

Thanks!!

Lannie

PS Doc???

Reply to
LS

Almost every part for a 350 will work in your 4.3. There are some obvious exceptions. There are rebuild kits for the 4.3 I know Northern Auto Parts carries them -

You can go as exotic as you are willing to pay. Getting 225 HP isn't all that much work.

Big Chris

LS wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

I know nothing about building them, so any advice on each step, let me know.

LS

Reply to
LS

Your best bet is to buy a book (or your local library) on engine building. Depending on your level of knowledge, you might want to start more basic or more advanced, but there are a lot of books out there with the info you need. Much of that info can be found on the net as well.

You need to establish the condition of your motor(s). Depending on how much time you have and such you can learn a lot by tearing a motor down, but do your homework first. You should do this in a clean environment (or as clean as possible).

The 4.3 out of your donor truck should work even though it is a 2 wheel drive model. This is not my area of expertise though. If you do go the route of the 350 swap,

sells the manual for how to do it and what you'll need.

Big Chris

LS wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

I have a mechanic who will do all the work. I don't have to do any of it. Just looking for ideas onadding horsepower. I thought maybe some of the people here have been there and done that. :)

LS

Reply to
LS

You can do a lot of things, I still reccommend a motor build-up book. You can also get a speed parts catalog from various shop that list a lot of the goodies.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but a few off the top of my head. Google for a few minutes and you'll find tons of info.

Port and polish heads SLIGHTLY hotter cam, getting too radical makes the engine not as nice on the street rolling rockers better flowing exhaust from headers to the end of the tail pipe You can do various things to modify cylinder diameter as well as compression chamber size (you can bore out the cylinder, use various thickness in gaskets, dome topped pistons etc.) Larger valves Improve fuel delivery system Improve air delivery system Improve ignition system Adjustable computer chip system Reduce friction whenever possible, reduce rotational weight whenever possible.

Remember, as you increase power, you also increase heat. Reducing friction whenever possible helps, but you also need to make sure your cooling system is up to the task, as well as your oiling system. I personally would have the block boiled to make sure it's passage ways are clean. I would also do a full cooling systems clean and flush.

Big Chris

LS wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris