Brake Bleeder Preference

Pressure or vacuum type? How about the pump style pressure units with no separate chamber for fluid? I use an older KD pressure set-up but he doesn't like the price. I figure the folks on here might have a few options he could look at.

So what do you use? Would you buy something else?

Reply to
Steve W.

----

corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

I guess I still like doing it the old fashioner way, some surgical tubing and a bottom of fluid. I've never used one of the new fangled bleeders.

Reply to
azwiley1

I made one of these.

Works well.

Randal

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

I bleed mine with gravity. On the stubborn ones I use a Silverline hand pump. Ask the question, "Would you buy something else?" again:) If you look you can find the Silverline for less.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

These vacuum bleeders SUCK, and not in a good way. It's dang near IMPOSSIBLE to form a perfect seal between the rubber tube and the bleed screw. And even if you CAN get a good seal there, you suck air from between the bleed screw and the caliper housing. I messed with one of these for the better part of a day and all I got was the rubber diaphragm wound up self destructing. $40.00 down the drain.

If you don't have a spare set of feet to help bleed the "old fashioned" way, go with a pressure bleeder.

Follow the link in Randal's post. I have NOT tried this but it HAS to be better than these vacuum bleeders.

JM

Reply to
JM

How about the brake bleeder screws with a 1 way valve. They only cost a few bucks and actually work. A piece of rubber hose into a pop bottle is the only other investment. May not be feasable with a garage setting where you are doing multiple jobs but great for your own vehicle. I have a air powered venturi type vacuum pump that is great but expensive. I got the venturi pump at a TVA auction for next to nothing but if you were working in a garage doing brakes for a living it would be worth a few hundred bucks to build one.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson

First, on the line that won't seal. Put a barb on the clear line from the bleeder then put a 1" piece of vacuum line on it. The vacuum line is pliable enough to get a good seal.

Second, take the bleeder valve out and put a light film of never-seize on the treads. That will seal up the threads and make it easier for you the next time.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

============= ============= Steve W." wrote: Pressure or vacuum type? How about the pump style pressure units with no separate chamber for fluid?

I use an older KD pressure set-up but he doesn't like the price. I figure the folks on here might have a few options he could look at.

So what do you use? Would you buy something else?

Steve W. =========== ===========

(answers to the quiz)

A wrench.

No, this one works great and is lifetime gauranteed by SnapOn.

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his shroom juice.....takes a toke........stick with what works~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

This Marsh Monster guy is full of shit!

LOL

Where have you been hiding Marshie?

Nice to see you.

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

Yeah, I know about the shroomer....

Besides his method does work IF you have 25 foot legs! Kind of hard to push that pedal down from the right rear....

Anyway the guy in question has a Motive Products unit on order.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Ref> This Marsh Monster guy is full of shit!

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the thanksgiving wishes:

I hope yours went well also, I had a great one,

Marsh is a great guy once you get to know him. I think he has an extra joint in his forearms, because he can reach things, us mere mortals can't.

But, again, He's actually extremely intelligent! He just loves to mess with people, Like I always used to de.

Best wishes.

Reply to
Refinish King

========= ========= On Nov 25, 9:37 pm, "Steve W." top posted: Yeah, I know about the shroomer....

Besides his method does work IF you have 25 foot legs! Kind of hard to push that pedal down from the right rear....

Anyway the guy in question has a Motive Products unit on order.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. ========= =========

or......a pedal depressor...........

:)

fact,not fiction

:)

anywhooooooo........hope yer Turkey day was great....... tks for the well wish's.

~:~ marsh ~sips his shroomjuice......takes a toke........wonders if you wonder if he wonders if you wonder.......what a pedal depressor is :) ~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Dunno what they use down in Shroomland FL, but I have been known to use and old broomstick. Press the pedal with one end of the stick, wedge the other on the seat, open the bleeder valve, close it, walk back to drivers seat and repeat if necessary.

Derek

PS good to hear all is well. Seems like the old regs are harder to find nowadays.

Reply to
genius

i have an old pressure tank bleeder and is great. i also have the mityvac vacume setup with the little can for fluid (sears 35.00). i find i need both . some of the abs systems i have had to vacume bleed to get the abs light off... same on some motorcycles that i couldnt adapt pressure bleeder to. but hanging a hose off the bleeder into a jar of fluid works pretty well on most stuff...it s really a matter of how many jobs you do a week. if you do alot of brake jobs the pressure bleeder is a fine companion to have..lucas

ds549

Got a couple myself. However on a flush it gets old real quick.

Reply to
Steve W.

Dunno what they use down in Shroomland FL, but I have been known to use and old broomstick. Press the pedal with one end of the stick, wedge the other on the seat, open the bleeder valve, close it, walk back to drivers seat and repeat if necessary.

Derek

PS good to hear all is well. Seems like the old regs are harder to find nowadays ========== ==========

They call them "helpers" in shroom land.

Mines about 5' 8"......19 years old.....and ignorant as a tech school graduate...with an ASE ceritfication.

:)

"Pedal Depressor" aka Gopher

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke......drops a shroom in the boiling water........ goes outside to wipe the fanger prints off his BG Brake Flusher~

:)

========= =========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

======= ======= snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net ended with:

.it s really a matter of how many jobs you do a week. if you do alot of brake jobs the pressure bleeder is a fine companion to have..lucas

I've only done 2 this week...........

One was for $3247.00......... the other was for $2187.00..........

I used my wrench.....on both.

:)

~:~ marsh ~sips his crownroyal........packs his pipe........mmmmm...... gooooooood.......stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster