vacuum for brake servo on a 2.25 diesel

If i wanted to fit a brake servo to a 2.25 diesel powered landy where would i get a vacuum feed from?

My 2.5D has a vacuum pump, but you cant fit one of them to the 2.25 as the fuel dissy is in way!

Can you get a belt driven pump? or is there a better way?

Is there any reason why you cant tap the itake manifold on the diesel and run a vacuum feed off that? I'm assuming that there must be vacuum in there but i have never seen it done this way so im guessing there must be some reason why not.

Reply to
Tom Woods

The basic reason is the lack of a throttle. When you brake, you normally have taken your foot off the accelerator pedal, the throttle closes, and there's a very restricted airflow to the engine. And there's your vacuum.

Reply to
David G. Bell

The original was from the inlet manifold via a reservoir.

It could be done - a bit of poking round scrapyards and a spot of bracket fabrication shold do the trick. You'll most likely need a new front pulley, but just making the fan belt (even) longer may work.

As above, that is the original format - but you will need the reservoir or the brake will feel little different. A trip round the brakers would be a good first step.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Belt driven ones I've seen and I read yesterday about a combined alternator/vacuum pump.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The later SWB 2.25 diesels (post 1980 I think) had servo brakes, the LWB's might have had them earlier than that. They had a vacuum reservoir and a venturi sort of thing attached to the U of the inlet casting. The inlet manifold on a diesel doesn't produce enough suck on its own without the attachment. The alternative is, as someone else has said, to rig up some sort of belt drive for an engine driven vacuum pump. IIRC some older Peugeot's had belt driven pumps so it would be worth having a poke around a scrap yard if you go that route.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Landrover's vacuum tapping method with extra tank etc was crap! It's a waste of time trying to find the bits as the servo assistance is so low, even when it's working right! A much better method is to fit an alternator that has a vacuum pump already built in (vauxhall astra diesel?) and power your servo properly that way. You may have to do a spot of fabrication for the new alternator mounts, but hey, where's the fun in simply bolting something on?

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Wonder if a Disco one will fit / modify. Austin had a broken one a while ago I seem to recall.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I used a different method. I took the old 2¼ out and put in a V8. Seems to have plenty of vacuum. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Mine works fine! The linkage does need carfull adustment so that the throttle plate opens earlier in the accelerators pedel movment than the injection pump or you end up lacking power and econimy. It also needs to shut fully when you lift off... or very little vacume! i.e. it doesn't work if you've go the hand throttle keeping the revs up for when its cold - can be scary if you forget and jump on the brakes! Having said all this, as I'm turbocharging mine the throttle valve is going (could have installed a external dump valve heheh) and I've got a vacume pump from a Peugot diesel to install. Toby

Reply to
TVS

Thankyou for that Steve, that's the best laugh I've had all day. I needed cheering up this evening after a bad day at the "office" and you've done the trick. Have a beer on me! (one of your own, that is - well, I am Scottish!!) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Its cheap and there isn't much to go wrong with it...

Also the Peugeot diesel engine was used in Rovers befor the L series came around but after the Perkins Prima. Sort of early 90's? Can also use a military water pump pully as these are twin belt jobies... Toby

Reply to
TVS

Any chance of a picture of yours Toby? I'd be interested to see exactly what this complicated sounding stuff looks like.

Also, what sort of peugeot was your pump off? It takes ages to go round the whole scrapyard looking under bonnets if you dont know roughly what type of car you are after!

How close to car transplants are you? Can you look over the fence and see if theyve got any in? ;-)

Reply to
Tom Woods

But is it worth considering if it doesnt work very well (like people are saying).

You havent been in a landy with my mate, he's gonna want a servo that actually works! :) Everybody else i know with a landy started off with something without a servo and with crappy brakes and we all tend to slow up for junctions and things extremely well in advance. He started off with a LWB S3 with a servo and brakes that were brilliant, and drives the landy like a car. Which is fine but hes in for a shock if he doesnt have a servo (not that he's going to be able to get up that much speed with the 2.25D!)

The LR place at Hinstock should be able to sort him out with a twin military pulley (if he hasnt already got one spare)

Im assuming that the crank pulley on a 2.25D is interchangeble with a

2.25P too, so he could drive it off that if he fancied?
Reply to
Tom Woods

The vacuum pump off a diesel peugeot 205 or 305 will do just the job you want . Seen it done. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

As someone else pointed out - the LR system does work, if set up correctly.

LR Series brake *should* be very good, it's a myth that they don't work. The only problem with them is that you get brake-fade, as with any other drum based system.

Yes. Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yeah. I know they should be good, but realistically they often arnt. It took me 3 years to get mine to be any good, and i've lost count of the number of hours i have spent messing with the braking system on series landies (both mine and other peoples) trying to improve it or bleed them up!

I replaced the whole system when i first got the truck but it wasnt until the second rebuild where i put on a new master cyl, a servo and an axle set of slave cylinders that i got them to be what i'd call 'good'. They are better than the brakes on my last car now.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well.. its probably not as good as a vacume pump but it is MUCH easier to fit and is all standard landrover bits. Infact for some beer tokens you can have mine when I've taken it off! Only reason I'm removing it is because I'm fitting a turbo and to save complications with a high boost presure and a throttle in the intake I'm fiting the vacuum pump. I'll take some pics with my new phone in the next day or two for you....

Yep, I'm prity sure it is.... Hope this helps! Toby

Reply to
TVS

yep, will see what I can do!

Not far, I'm just at Bunbury! Not sure about the moddel of Peugeot but its driven from the right hand end of the cam shaft by a very short v belt. You may need to put a bigger pully on it or it may over speed when driven from the crankshaft... probably wouldn't do it much harm, but can't be good for the life expectancy - running it twice as fast as it should be! heheh Toby

Reply to
TVS

Ooh. hadnt thought of the speed issues. will tell him to find out about where its already driven from and pulley sizes.

He's managed to source a peugeot vacuum pump already (only took him a couple of hours) due to knowing people who work in a pug garage. I wish i had it that easy when i wanted bits!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Go for a Diesel Pug 205, we had one which was B reg, and it had a really nice little vac pump so you would just need to get a longer fan belt and make some brackets to fit it.. Like the idea of solving the problem with a V8, nice one had me in stitches :-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich