Can of Worms Opened

Ok, I have heard this and that about adding Dextron 3 transmission fluid to diesel fuel to keep pumps and injectors clean and improve lubrication. Who really knows about this? I hear 1 quart to every 50 gallons is OK. Any comments?

Bugsy

Reply to
Bugsy

I don't know about this but why wouldn't you just use the correct cleaner for the injectors and pump?

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

"cheap bastard"? 8)

Reply to
burntkat

This is an old diesel mechanics trick born about a thousand years ago when the injection pumps were all mechanical and we were moving away from sulfer in diesel fuel as a lubricant. The older pumps were having a problem with lubrication with the lower sulfer fuels. However, with the newer pumps designed for lower sulfer levels, and with computer controls monitoring emissions, adding ATF to your fuel is an idea whose time has passed. If you really think you need something, just buy a quart of good quality diesel fuel treatment (something that prevents gelling, kills bacteria, helps get rid of water, and boosts the cetane level) and add 4-8oz. to every full tank.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race