Check Engine Light

I have a 99 Silverado with the 5.3L. I've been running about a month with the message center light that says "change engine oil." The other day, my check engine light came on so I was thinking I'd better get to autozone to have the code read. I wasn't in much of a hurry cause I was thinking one of the O2's finally gave up with 155k miles. Well, I got the oil changed and when I reset the message center light, my check engine light cleared. So, does this model truck let you run with a certain number of key cycles and then set a code? I really didn't think that the check engine light had anything to do with changing the oil, but it just had to be.

Reply to
George

No the check engine light does not have anything to do with the change oil. Some codes will clear the light after so many crank cycles without a failure.

Alan

Alan