chevy engines

I have a 1997 chevy 4x4 with a 305 that is knocking,does anybody know if i can put in a 350.What components will i have to change,or should i put a 305 back in it.Thanks for any info!!

Reply to
chuckvogel

As fa ras bolting it in, it is a direct fit. On the electronics as long as you get a simular year VorTec 350 and change the Eprom in the computer there should be no issues there either.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Chevrolet

Well, ahh, uhh, No he's not...

The 305 is the 5.0L V-8, which is virtually identical in many respects to the 350 (5.7L) V-8 of that year. The only appreciable difference is the cylinder dimensions and some programming - hence, Snoman's tip about the Eprom.

The 6 cylinder is the 4.3L V-6 (263) which is essentially the 350 minus 2 cylinders, and all three of these motors are easily interchangeable in the full-size truck as all three were offered as options.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I do not believe you have to change anything . old john

Hello, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net! You wrote on Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:10:47 -0700:

c> I have a 1997 chevy 4x4 with a 305 that is knocking,does anybody know c> if i can put in a 350.What components will i have to change,or should c> i put a 305 back in it.Thanks for any info!!

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

"Change the eprom?" No replaceable e-prom used in 97

The PCM would need to be reflashed, probably by an aftermarket vendor, reflashing with the Tech 2 would probably result in a VIN conflict.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

This is correct because the replaceable Eprom died with TBI so reflash it but when you do reflash it you are in effect changing the Eprom in that you are changing its memory rather than replacing the chip itself. I have never had a VorTec ECM apart (never had a need too) but I have had TBI ones apart. It would be curiuos to see in the flashable Eprom in them is socketed or not. Also whilel VIN is coded with engine type there is likely a way to override this. The Tech 2 is made to be a no brainer of sorts so that it is hard for tech to screw up using it. Worst cause, change ECM if not able to flash it. There is also the option of a after market tune for ECM too. (by this I am talking a tune that is done with a PC and allows to to set customs curves for fuel. timing, etc).

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Chevrolet

Sorry, didn't get the sarcasm right off.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Have you tried high octane gas ?...10w-40w oil?

Reply to
Black Dog