chevy question

I was wanting to know if i can bolt a 4.3 vortec into a 1984 chevy s10. It already has a 2.8 v6 in it now that blew, so i figure i can put another v6 into it but the vortec is bigger so i was wantin a real answer?

Reply to
Jdub89 via CarKB.com

rmk700

You will need the transmission, wiring harness, computer, mounts, etc...

You would be better off doing a performance rebuild on the 2.8...You would save ALLOT of time and a bit of money too.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
David Johnson

Greetings,

Yes you can drop in a 4.3L V-6 into an '84 S-10. That body style later came with the 4.3 as an option, and it's even possible to transplant a 350 small block into it if you are willing to do the work and spend the money. The

4.3 is not a direct drop-in replacement, however, because the motor mounts and about two dozen other things are different, including possibly even the tranny bolt pattern and transfer case if it's a 4wd. I'd also recommend a larger radiator because the 4.3 will produce more heat as well.

Frankly since the truck is an '84 then you won't get any money out of it if you upgrade motors, which will cost you more in labor and time than the truck may be worth. It will be cheaper - and easier - to transplant another

2.8 into it and save yourself the time and money. If you are dead set on putting in the larger V-6, then find yourself a wrecked donor truck of the same body style with the motor you want and just do a direct swap, then sell the donor truck with your old 2.8 to recoup some of the costs. However, like I said before your truck is an '84 so just be careful that any work you do doesn't exceed the value of having this truck up and running again.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan