Dexcool Flush

I have a 99 K1500 Suburban with a 5.7L(350). With all I have been hearing (bad) about the Dexcool, I have decided to flush it out and put the "Ol-Green" stuff in. Since freezing season is over, I was considering draining the cooling system, filling it with water only and driving for a week and repeating this about 3 or 4 times to get all the dex-cool out. Is this a good or bad idea? I just have my doubts that a single drain would completely drain the system on the suburban, since the hoses go to the rear heat.

Brian

Reply to
Trail Shredder

I guess nopbody told ya the orange stuff and the green stuff don't mix eh? Mix them together and pudding city. The only way to do this sucessfully is to drain the rad, yank both block plugs to drain the heads, and yank and blow out all of the hoses.

Total and complete waste of time. If you change your Dex every 5 years/100k miles, use DISTILLED water, make sure the expansion tank is always full AND make sure the rad cap is functioning you won't have any problems.

I have seen more cooling systems boogered up by a half-assed "flush" of dex then refilling with the green stuff.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Just use Dexcool. If you really had been worried about it, you should have changed it about 2 years ago. Perhaps you didn't hear all the scuttlebutt about Dexcool until recently. Even though I'm not a fan of Dexcool...at this point...you will be further ahead by just re-installing new Dexcool.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Red Cap?

Reply to
Trail Shredder

What the hell are you talking about??? I said RAD CAP.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Sorry, I guess so.