Newly formulated "Dexcool"

A local radio host/repair shop owner has an automotive show for 2 hours every Saturday. He is saying there is an alarming number of GM vehicles who are now suffering from the newly formulated red coolant that GM is using. This new stuff is eating up the rubber "O" rings being used in 2006 and up engines. He is suggesting using any other type coolant and flush out the old red stuff. Any problems noted by anybody.

Reply to
wabbleknee

Red or orange? (I've never heard of red coolant)

Reply to
zxcvbob

I've heard of a couple but couldn't give you the models. Dexcool was a disaster back in the early 2000's. So you're saying they made it even more disastrous? I've flushed my 03 Trailblazer and replaced with Prestone traditional 3 years ago. But you have to completely flush the Dex or it can cause solidification and you could develop clogs. There is an adequate replacement that doesn't require a flush. It's designed to replace or be used with both Dex and traditional.

Reply to
Teredo

Probably should have made it a little more obvious. My crystal ball is in for repair.

Reply to
Teredo

Probably should have made it a little more obvious. My crystal ball is in for repair.

Pretty obvious when you read the words "newly & new"! From the original post :"He is saying there is an alarming number of GM vehicles who are now suffering from the newly formulated red coolant that GM is using. This new stuff is eating up the rubber "O" rings being used in 2006 and up engines."

Reply to
wabbleknee

Yup and a million consumers and a big lawsuit that WON that states otherwise.

Reply to
DogDiesel