2000 Century radiator flush procedure

Purchased new but seldom driven 10,000 on odometer. I assume it could use a radiator flush but I need help in how to go about it. Mainly where are the drains and bleed valves if any? Anyone recommend a site showing the procedure? TIA GS

Reply to
Gail Storm

why do you assume it needs a flush?

Reply to
oldkid

Owner manual states 150,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first. Only 10k miles but Buick said it should be changed as the car is at the 5-year point. Local independent service shop said they are told in training classes every 2 years. I've read pro and con on the Internet and really don't know, but for $100

  • dollars I assume I can do it myself with the help of the instructions. I'm given the "treatment" by the service shops as to the considerable damage that will occur if it is not changed now. Thought I would error on the safe side. I don't know (?) G.S.
Reply to
Gail Storm

Your car probably does need a drain & fill with water & w/an oxalic acid flush stuff. Then a flush and drain. And another flush, drain, and fill with appropriate green stuff mixed with DISTILLED water. Every two years. Not

5yr/150k folklore. Bottom drain is usually opposite side of radiator from intake hose. Top bleed is usually at the highest points of radiator, engine, and hoses. Seek and ye shall find.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Is there also a block drain? Never heard of oxalic acid flush stuff but I don?t do much work on my autos anymore, as I no longer have the flexibility of youth. I also read on the Internet about the old ethylene glycol, green stuff and it appears that some say it works and visa versa. The Buick manual states the warranty is void if coolant other than DEX-COOL is used. Don?t understand why, perhaps it has something to do with aluminum versus cast iron blocks? Thanks for your help. G.S.

Reply to
Gail Storm

Oxalic acid is what many of the flushes contain. That and an a grease so= lvent. Read up on Death-Cool, oops I meant Dex-Cool and class action lawsuits on= the web. Nearly all antifreeze now-a-days has the appropriate corrosion inhibitors= for both Al and Fe. You did not say what engine is in your car, I assume 3.8 or 3= =2E4. I havn't seen block drains on cars in a long time.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

The big problem with "do it yourself" is where to dispose of the old coolant. You're not supposed to dump it in the drain, in the streets or in the storm sewers......

Reply to
Anonymous

is the freeze in your car green or pink/orange?

Reply to
oldkid

Oxalic acid is what many of the flushes contain. That and an a grease solvent. Read up on Death-Cool, oops I meant Dex-Cool and class action lawsuits on the web. Nearly all antifreeze now-a-days has the appropriate corrosion inhibitors for both Al and Fe. You did not say what engine is in your car, I assume 3.8 or 3.4. I havn't seen block drains on cars in a long time.

Sorry about that Paul, engine is a 3.1 V6. As to block drain, I must have been sleeping when they remove those! I did see some of the negative reports about the new coolant used in today?s radiators. I talked to the dealer about it and obviously he said DEX-COOL, the independent service guy said whichever one I want but would not offer an opinion except to say if he put in green I can?t go back to original coolant. Thanks again for the update.

Reply to
Gail Storm

I live in a very remote area we do not have storm drains or sewers. I think there is a service in town that will take it but not sure.

Reply to
Gail Storm

It is pink possibly red. We also have a 98 Cavalier and it has the same color coolant. Does it make a difference?

Reply to
Gail Storm

Yes, DexCool is Pink, Green Stuff is old school, Prestone is marketing a Yellow product. After a flush, you can use whatever you like, just don't mix products. If running " Green " antifreeze in an Aluminum engine, change it every year. Given Dex Cool's bad press [ mostly unfounded ] check with dealer about warantee before making switch. 50 / 50 mix recommended . Dispose of used antifreeze responsibly, not down the drain.

Reply to
451CTDS