Diff fluid leak

Just drove my 98 sub k1500 out home to NW Il last night. Didn't notice anything wrong but today while cleaning the slop and mess out of the garage found a big puddle of differential fluid. Started looking at the diffs and didn't see anything leaking at the axles or the shafts. Peeked under the hood and fluid is all up the side of the radiator, on top of the splash guard, on top of steering gear etc, but I can't see anything from where it's coming from. It's going in to the shop tomorrow but wondering if anyone has an idea. Larry

Reply to
jdoe

"jdoe" wrote

I'm going to take an educated guess that it will turn out to either be the left front axle seal....or possibly the vent. It's not un-common for both to leak....usually the vent will really throw fluid all over the place, especially if it comes right out. There is a bulletin kicking around somewhere, I can't find it at the moment, but the advice is to remove the vent, clean it up, and wrap the threads of the vent with teflon tape in order to provide a bit of a locking action to the threads when it's re-installed.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to