93 3.3 GV Trans leak

I'm still trying to diagnose a small transmission leak from the drivers side cv. I've replaced the CV joint for the 2nd time and it's still leaking, but not as much as before.

Larry, I know you mentioned that the carrier bearing might be shot. My transmission guy said it's solid and he didn't find any slop. I changed the timing chain this summer and was wondering if it is possible the engine is not centered anymore and the cv is not seated all the way in the trans. I intend to check the cv length, it should be between 7.2 and 7.6 inches. I'm going to check it and then take it back to the trans. guy to see if he can see anything else. Had it back a number of times and he didn't see anything. Even mic'd the old cv against the new and didn't find any variations in the circumference. Still trying to determine what's causing it to leak. No noise from the cv and all the hoses etc. are fine. Any additional things to check out is appreciated.

thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

jdoe

Thanks Larry, the bolts for the mount on the passenger side (the one I had to remove) did not look like they were lined up exactly as they were before I removed it. I didn't loosen the front mount so I'm thinking, like you, that it would be hard to throw it out of alignment if that mount was still tight. But I'll check the measurement. The seal was replaced twice, first time thinking it might be bad (which the trans guy said looked ok) and the second time he tried a different style.

Nick

Reply to
ncs