Front differential low, safe to drive in 2wd?

93 chevy blazer k1500(4x4) IFS
I had new gears put in my truck and the breather tube was broken off the front differential. Didn't notice till I got home and saw gear oil splattered across and under truck. On these IFS differentials there is a plastic plug with a small platic tube coming out of it on the drivers side of the diff. The small plastic nipple that the hose attaches to cracked and is causing gear fluid to spew out when driven. The shop says to drive it in, however I am concerned with the amount of fluid I see on the ground and splattered across the truck. Brings me to my question, in these diffs, when 4WD is not engaged, the front drive shaft is not turning, but do the axels turn in the diff? and in your opinion do you believe this to be safe to drive without burning up the new gears up front? The breather is near the top of the diff, and I haven't check the actual amount of fluid yet.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give...

Reply to
Al

In 2hi, the axles are turning in the diff. The right side axle is disconnected tho, so it's simply turning inside the extension tube. The left side is driving the left side gear inside the differential section of the case. Basically, all that is turning is the side gears and pinion gears. Because the ring gear isn't turning on 2hi on these older systems, it's hard to imagine that you will lose much fluid. You also notice that the diff vent is "above" the fill plug.

If you aren't going far, I'd just drive it in.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Actually oil level is kinda critical in that design to keep spider gears properly lubed as they spin out in 2wd (they can spin pretty fast and that is why the oil is being flung out) I would check lube level and top it off if need be and drive it not to fast (under 50 or so) until you get a new plug.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks Ian and Sno.... Now I have a better idea of what is goin on in this front diff.... I'll top it off and drive it in, the shop isn't too far.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Al