dome light trouble - '99 Chevy Truck

I'm an owner of a '99 Chevy K1500. 5.7L/V8. I have been experiencing trouble with my dome light, and am looking for any advice or an answer to my problem. I fear electrical problems.....

I can get the dome light to turn on manually with the toggle switch located on the dash, so the bulb isn't burnt out. The problem is when I open either door, the light doesn't come on. This happens about 99% of the time, it actually has come on a few times over the past year, but has never been consistent. This should eliminate any trouble with the door switch pin.

What actually activates the light in the door jam anyhow? Is it in the door latch? Regardless, I don't think this is the cause, because you wouldn't think both doors would fail at the same time????? I'm not sure how the dome light override switch is suspose to work. This could be the cause of the problem? All the above problems happen with the overide button pushed in. With the button out, the light stays on, and doesn't turn off with a delay, after the door is closed.

The problem doesn't seem to have any correlation to the weather either.

Sorry for the confusing description, but thats what electrical problems do for me. Cause confusion. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
dminus

The Override button should be out for it to work. There is a delay in turning the lights out when you close the doors. The way to test this is to open and close the door to start the delay and then turn the key to on. The lights should turn off then. If the lights do not turn off then replace light timer relay.

Reply to
shields

What about a 98 Suburban where the dome light comes on intermittantly when all the doors are closed? The override does prevent this from happening, and the dimmer switch and remote still turn the lights on. Haven't spent much time on this problem (just bought the truck), but I didn't see where the switch is for the doors.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
shields

You might alos have to shim up the switches and door bumpers with washers to close the gap. It appears the Dash moves with time.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Thanks for the replys, I think I am narrowing down the problem.

Now with the "dome override" button out, like it should be, things have improved. I think I have narrowed it down to the pin switch, on the driver side door. The dome light turns off after opening and closing the passenger door. No delay. The same isn't the case for the driver side door. It is now turning off, with a delay, only part of the time. Sometimes it will stay on. Sounds as if it may be the driver side pin switch. Or is it that the door/dash have shifted that I need to SLAM the door shut to make contact?

"Shields" says the pin switch is located in the door jam. Would that be hinge side, or latch side? Where ever it is, how do I get to it to replace it?

Again thanks for everyones help....

Reply to
dminus