Dual Batteries

'85 K5

How would one go about this? What kind of alternator should I switch too? I've seen the welding systems with the super heavy duty alternators, can they handle a constant high-draw like this for charging two batteries? Anyone have an isolator that they particularly like? I would like a very 'sophisticated control center, where the second battery is more an 'accessory' battery. IE if I want to sit and listen to the radio, switch over to batt II and do that. To run the truck, switch over to batt I. I'd like to make it so I can use this truck as a camper if you know what I mean, so I'd like to have say the 'house' and the 'car' battery. But I would also like to be able to switch over to the second battery and drive away if the first is dead, and then have both of them charge. Basically I would like it to be similar to the charging system in a boat.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I run dual batteries on a truck used to plow snow. Depending on the snow, it could run 8-10 hrs to get the route done. I can't remember if its a 95 or

110 amp alt but I've had no problems keeping the batteries up. Hope that helps the alt part of your question.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

A friend had his '84 chevy setup on dual batteries. The second battery came out of a D9 Cat and he had it in the back of the box for weight distribution. That battery would pound the tunes all night camping, then the "little" one would fire the truck up in the morning. Or winching, or lights, what ever he wanted.

Reply to
Demon

More than you need to know about batteries:

Dick

I have done it for years. dual battereies charged with the regular alternater(from 65 amp old fords to

Reply to
johnny

and you do not need a "sofisticated Control Center" just a 3 way toggle switch to swith the solenoid in or out. john

Reply to
johnny

You don't need to switch. I've seen the welding systems

I did a dual battery setup in a '98 Chevy 1/2 ton (gas). I never found the need to isolate the extra battery. I looked in to it, and thought to just use a heavy duty diode. It will only allow current to flow one way (charge).

Another place you could look at, if you want to go heavy duty, is talk to a semi parts supplier (Freightliner, Peterbilt, Jobber....) and see what they use to isolate the Proheat (or equivenalnt) battery.

Reply to
Chevguy

I have just always used a cheap isolator. never had a problem with 5 dual battery vehicles. john

Reply to
johnny

I know. I want it. Thats why I said "I want a..." not "I think I need a..."

Thanks for the ideas. I have a schematic that I just drew out for my lights that I am planning on scanning and posting just for a sanity check. Again no one will like it because it's the way I want it - but at least they should see reasons why it wont work.

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

First leave some more space in inline replies, I felt like I was reading a conversation between me and myself.

The one I saw came with a new altinator period, and from what I read by review it was highly liked on the trails.

they handle a constant

Not going to do what I want.

OK

Reply to
KJ

Here is the Alt I put in my 96 C1500. I bought the 200amp model

And here is an easy to install Isolator

2 optima batteries you'll be good to go

Reply to
How can I be down