Dual Batteries

I'm about to instal dual Optima yellow top batteries in my sweet young bride's 06 Rubicon (Kate).

My question is, do I run them paralell or do I seperate them out, using a charging system isolator, running the jeep on one battery and the accessories on the other?

Thanks

Reply to
Big Iron

Always use an isolator. It's safer.

DougW

Big Iron

I am a firm believer in running an isolator. What good are two batteries when you leave the lights on or something when setting up a camp and both end up dead...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I'm about to instal dual Optima yellow top batteries in my sweet young
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Big Iron

Biggest issue I have with the parallel setup is the charge problem - it's hard to get two batteries with identical charge curves so one or the other will never get a full charge or one will be over-charged and gassing badly. The only advantage to a straight parallel setup is increased starting current (max drain). Years back, I had a dual lead-acid battery setup in a jet airplane where the batteries were paralleled for start then charged individually. The switching system failed after start and the gas from the over charged battery blew - left a large open hole in the nose. The engine compartment of a Jeep is no where near as enclosed as this was and I'm sure batteries have improved a bit in the last 45 years, but why tempt Murphy?

And like Mike said, direct parallel means BOTH batteries go dead at the same time - oops!

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks Will,

I agree with y'all, it's just nice to get a second opinion. I'll get a charging system isolator and get the alternator rewound to a higher output and set up the batteries to seperate systems one for the basic jeep and one for all of the accessories that seem to be adding themselves on at an amazing pace.

Thanks to y'all for your input.

Dick

Reply to
Big Iron

I run mine with an isolator. Jeep is running = both charge, aux only pull from the yellow top Jeep is not running = aux all use the yellow top, starting uses only the red top

All I have to do is remember when I run the red dead is to swap their positions and start using the yellow. Or, do what I did last time that happened and get a jump start.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

is who I used for the parts. Granted I used them inpart because I could go over to the shop and talk to them and pick the stuff up.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep