E85 In My Truck

I was wondering if I could run E85 in my 99 Jimmy 4.3 v6

Reply to
Adam

If your system was designed for it, there should be a sticker near your gas cap. It would also say in your owners manual. Just an FYI using E85 does NOT save you money. While the cost per gallon is lower, the efficiency is lower. So you buy more E85 to go the same distance as you would with regular gas. Then add in you are refilling more frequently. We ran head to head tests with my future father-in-law's minivan earlier this Summer and the E85 on average cost slightly more to use in the same conditions.

Big Chris

Adam wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

Reply to
David Johnson

I was thinking of trying E10, which is 90% gas and 10% ethanol, but it isnt available here yet

Reply to
Adam

I know that E95 isnt more efficient, but it would be nice to change just to save the environment a little atleast.

BTW my jimmy dont have any stickers near the gas cap and it dont have an owners manual with it.

Reply to
Adam

In Minnesota it has been mandated that all gasoline is at least E10 unless it's premium labeled for collector vehicles only.

Reply to
Advocate

Reply to
Adam

Here in Iowa we sell ethanol at every station and it's label as premium because it's 91 octane. It's 15 % ethanol adn 85% gas. I have never heard of a 10 % blend. You can go to

and see if your vehcile is listed. I doudt if a 96 is but who knows without looking. Don't put E85 in a vehcile that isn't able to burn it because it causes series problems. Doug

Reply to
Doug aka Skippy

Actually, 65% of all gasoline sold in Iowa is 10% ethanol. Also it is labeled as mid-grade 89 octane. I have never seen ethanol in premium gas, nor have I ever seen 15% ethanol sold in Iowa.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I hate to tell you are wrong but I will. I work in the fuel business. What I stated is true with a little research you find the info for yourself. Doug

Reply to
Doug aka Skippy

Scroll down to "Iowa and Ethanol". One of us is wrong, and it ain't me.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

sure you can run it in your truck not sure why you would want to e85 gets less mpg and less power and get ready to replace all the seals in your fuel system as the alcohol will dry and crack them leaving you with leaks and service engine light on

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
chvy fan

For the pure and simple reason that it isn't purchased from terrorists like the Saudis or Nigerians or Venezuelans.

(Actually Hugo isn't a terrorist....

....yet.)

Reply to
PerfectReign