OBD II Scan tools

I would like to purchase a OBD II scan tool. Which ones should I consider? Do any come with software to install on a PC that would include a conversion table to convert to OEM codes and include diagnostic troubleshooting trees?

I just had Autozone read my 2002 S-10 and they came up with code PO35 with their scan tool. When converted to GM's code it became PO135.

Reply to
<jblack23

Shep

I need to change the rear breaks on my tracker. The drum is stuck. Does anyone know the size of the bolts for the puller on the drum and the thread count. Also are they for a puller or to screw in and push off the drum. Either way I can do it. Also are there any other things I should know?

Reply to
Robert Lardin

I need to change the rear breaks on my tracker. The drum is stuck. Does anyone know the size of the bolts for the puller on the drum and the thread count. Also are they for a puller or to screw in and push off the drum. Either way I can do it. Also are there any other things I should know?

Reply to
Robert Lardin
8mm, just screw them in and they will push the drum off. Be sure to release the parking brake and back off the adjusters first.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

. . on Oct 22, 2005, 3:12pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Robert=A0Lardin) was caught thinking out loud...........

I need to change the rear breaks on my tracker. The drum is stuck.

(Question #1) Does anyone know the size of the bolts for the puller on the drum and the thread count.

(Question #2) Also are they for a puller or to screw in and push off the drum.

(Random Thought) Either way I can do it.

(Question #3) Also are there any other things I should know? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Mr. Larden, I would like to answer your first 2 questions, however.......I believe that I would best serve you by ONLY answering your 3rd question.

so.....here goes........

You should know that out there somewhere there IS a shop that would love to take about $80 of your hard earned income and slap a set of brakes on that rascal and in the process GIVE YOU A WARRANTY on the job.

now.....

You should also know......

that when that technician slips and gash's his hand open......you ain't gonna feel a thang!

and...know that..... while he's out there pounding on yer drum and cuss'n you fer neglecting your brakes to the point that now HE has to suffer because of it.......you can be in the front office drink'n coffee and tell'n yerself....damn....if he's having that much trouble ..i can only imagine what my non-knowing arse would have went through! mmmmm.....good coffee.

and......you should know...... when he opens up that box of brakes that "The Computer" said would fit yer vehical...... and he finds out that they don"t.......... he's gonna walk to the shelf and get the correct part fer the application.............while yer drink'n yer coffee and think'n that ain't you the smart one.....cuz you would've had to ride yer bike down to the old AutoZonedOut store to exchange them...while the AutoZonedOut dude said oops...(in doulble talk)....IF you had attempted this at home..... mmmmm.......good coffeee.

and..... you should know.... that when that technician puts the tires back on yer vehical....backs it out the bay.....then comes straight back in the shop because of the weird scrapping sound being made......his impact gun and 2-post lift is gonna make short work of get'n that wheel and drum back off..... while.......... yer drink'n their coffee...... think'n ...... man......i would'da had to jack that sucker back up and git dem lugs off by hand..... mmmmm.......... goood coffeee...

the last thing, and i'm quite sure the least important thing, you need to know is.........

he's gonna git'r done in less than an hour and a half.....

yer gonna be all day..... if yer lucky......

and if yer not......

then do a repost.....

we'll go ahead and answer the first two questions fer yuh.

~:~ Marsh Monster ~sips his coffee, waits on NAPA to show up with them top of the line $39.47 brake shoes, and wonders........is it worth it to advertise $79.95 brake jobs........gess i could use cheaper parts.....

mmmmm....... goood coffee ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Huh....where do you live? Must be somewhere where the tech's get paid 10 dollars an hour. 80 bucks for a brake job.....it costs 80 dollars just to drive the vehicle into my stall.

Heh heh....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

========== ========== Ian took his white lab coat off, yelled for the shop helper to git that piece of dust off his bay floor, glanced down toward the new Service Manager and wondered if he'd win "The Pool" on this one....... then took time out to write:

Huh....where do you live? Must be somewhere where the tech's get paid 10 dollars an hour. 80 bucks for a brake job.....it costs 80 dollars just to drive the vehicle into my stall.

Heh heh.... Ian

============ ============

Myself personally, I 'd pinch off the rear lines and Not even give it a second thought. Eventually the trannies gonna get Killed off by not servicing it anyways, Eliminating all the worry over the brakes.

  • 0 L O

~marsh~ sips his shroom juice

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Standard GM Dealer Charge in the US as well, but how much per book hour do YOU make? My buddy that works at a Buick-GMC-Hummer dealer (and is Hummer Certified) only gets $24 per book hour. He's been at the same dealership over 10 years. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Actually, it was just a bit of a joke. But our door rate is 100 dollars an hour. I make over 28 dollars per flat rate hour. We do not have certifications like that up here in Canada. If you work in the dealership and are a licensed technician, you work on whatever the dealership sells. Since we don't sell Hummers, we don't work on them. I believe too that the Hummers are a bit like the Caddy's. If you do not sell Caddy's, you cannot perform warranty work on the them. Of course, the non-Caddy dealer techs could care less, who really wants to work on a Caddy? I don't mind em, but I'm getting used to them.

There are a few dealerships in town that pay their boys over 30 dollars an hour. But it really becomes a moot point if you can't generate the flat rate hours. I'd rather make 28 dollars per flat rate hour and have the opportunity to generate 12 hours a day, then get 30 dollars an hour, but be out of work by noon and be lucky to pull 6 hrs a day. In the flat rate world, dollar per hour is only part of the equation.

By the way, if your buddy is getting 24 dollars on 80 dollars door rate, he's getting a better percentage on the split.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hummer Cert is basically a week long course in Hummer Specific systems, and occational traning for updates.

My buddy is no longer the only Hummer tech at that dealership. So now he does full line (Buick's GMC's & Hummers). He's a Slam Man, he can usually 1/2 or 1/4 book time. Yet he suffers comebacks from it. Thats the reason I never went in to dealer repairs. Im too detailed for dealer book rate. I could survive comfertibly in a dealership with flat rate.

Most privet shops that pay flat rate never touch more then $14 an hour. Where the same guy can make twice that doing book rate on a good week working out of the same place.

Dealer Book time (GM/Helm)is less then the time given in books like mitchell. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Well, if he has comebacks, he should slow down. He'd be known as the "butcher" in our shop, and would probably not last long. We had one of those a couple of years ago, ended up costing the company over 30K dollars by the time he was done. We still get his crap back in the shop even after two years.

You can still be a "detailed" mechanic and make money under flat rate. It doesn't matter where you work, even if you don't work flat rate, almost all mechanical is "billed out" in a flat rate fashion. At least with flat rate, I get my fair share of the productivity.

That's crazy....we were getting paid 12 dollars an hour in 1981.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I know his comeback rate isn't too high. The dealer he works at would have fired years ago if he exceeded there magic numbers. Every one has some comeback, no matter how good a job you did.

Most Privet shops here charge $40 to $60 an hour, very few charge $80. Probably a bit higher if converted in to canadian funds (I don't know the exchange rate). GM Dealers here predy much all charge around $80 per hour. Unless you can prove to a customer you do something extra special or perform magic, you can't get over what the dealers charge. Elsewise people will just go there.

Between being sued for Zoning Violations, Cost of overhead, being sick of working 8 to 16 hour days. Im almost reay to take a $12.50 a hour job. I might have my shop another 6 months if im lucky, but Im ready to just work elsewhere and not have the headaches.

Charles

180 Parts, Project, restoation cars that we got to re-locate, crush, or sell. That alone is enough to cause migrane.
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Very true...I don't know of anyone who doesn't have comebacks. But usually you split them up into the "percieved" and "real" comeback categories. Plus, many techs can be real good at covering up their mistakes. You just made it sound like his comebacks were related to his warp speed. There are very few techs anymore that can make much over 12 hrs a day over a two week pay period unless they are being fed nothing but gravy. If you get your fair share of gravy and shit work and still are banging out 16 hrs a day over two weeks.....I'll show you someone who's cheating somewhere. At least, doing GM warranty and customer pay dealership work...I can't speak for the other domestics or the import dealerships.

I guess it depends on the market that you are in.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I would say a majority of his comebacks are from warp speed. Things like not catching another issue, or making a mistake.

When he's got sidework that requires a lift he uses my shop. So I have got to see some examples first hand. He's tall & thin, and moves faster then I can. Example he did a TH200R4 in a 84 Lesbra 4 Door (RWD 301 engine) at my shop. Took 2 hours 15 minutes. It would have taken me over

3 hours to do it. I watched him, slack jawed. No short cuts and it was done right. Yet I also watched him do a timing belt on a Chevette (derby car), and get the tensioner wrong. The only way to really slow him down is when he drinks beer while doing a side job. Then even my mom could fixa car faster, and mom hasn't worked on a car since I was 7.

Probably does. Dayton Ohio is a tough market for service work. A lot of people around that do good work out of their home garages. A number of dishounest shops, and a number of good hounest shops, a lot of dealerships around as well. Probably 20 GM Dealerships in a 50 mile radius of down town. One of the Large Chevy Dealers will do most GM's execpt Hummers and Saturns. They are large enough that parts and service Monday thru Thursday is open 8am to 8 PM (used to be 8am to midnight till a few years back) then friday 8am till 5pm. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig