ECM Removal

Been lurking for a while here and now I need some help. I bought a used 95 chevy k2500 and the original owner told me he changed the computer chip in the truck to a towing version. My gas mileage is horrendous and it just doesnt seem to have the power it should. What I would like to do is take out the ECM and check what chip he put in and possibly return it to a stock one or something that will give me better mileage.

My problem is that I can't remove the ECM. I take out the glove box and loosen the 2 screws that hold it to the fan motor cowling, but there seems to be something hanging on to in the rear or underside of the module.

I can's see anything in there as it is crammed. Has anyone removed their ECM and can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Jason

Reply to
Fleaman

I replaced the one in my '86, and had the same problem... two screws are fairly easy, but their are two more much harder the get at. Don't know if your year model is the same, but it may be or similar. You'll have to feel for 'em, 'cause you can't see 'em.

GC

Reply to
GC

How did you end up getting them out in the end?

Reply to
Fleaman

After I found them by hand, I used the flexible extension--and guided it into place by touch..... couldn't really see 'em, so that's the only way I could figure it.

GC

Reply to
GC