How to re[lace the differential shaft breather?

Hi, I found the inside, to which the differential shaft attaches, has the oil stain with collected dirt. I wonder if the breather goes bad and diferential oil seeping out. Does anyone have this kind of symptomn?? The problem location is the rear wheel on the driver side. The stained area is on the inside surface to which both the brake fluid hose and the differential shaft attach. How to treplace the breather? Any pointers and directions are appreciated. Matt

Reply to
Matt

There's an excellent writeup here:

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Nothing but a hole in the differential to allow it to breath, nothing to go wrong. If all you see is a stain & the diff is full, forget about it. If its leaving a puddle, worry, it's overfull, if not, no problem. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter

The breather is just a tube with a cap. Make sure the cap isn't blocked with mud.

Fluid leaking out the axle seals is a big red flag!

You need to check the condition of the fluid fast. When I see leaks like that, it usually means the diff has sucked up water. Or it is just plain a seal wearing out.

Checking the fluid will tell. If it's stinky gear oil, ok, if it looks like a purple milkshake, change it fast.

Mike

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

What happens to the diff b=reather is that it clogs, or rusts! so that it no longer allows the diff to breathe.

Well, the pressure has to go somewhere, so the front seal of the diff is the best place to go!

Chances are, if you have a good size leak, you need a new seal: $4.75 (last I checked) for the part, and about $90 in labor!

Reply to
HachiRoku

What sort of vehicle is this? On the Toyotas, the diff breather is right on the axle housing.

Perhaps you are referring to the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve (LSPV), as that part has both brake fluid lines and a metal rod that runs down to the axle connected to it. Perhaps it is the metal sensing rod you are referring to as the "differential shaft". If this is correct and that is where you are observing the stained area and it is indeed brake fluid leaking, then likely the LSPV is leaking. Clean up the area with brake cleaner and see if you can ascertain the source of the leak. May be something simple like a loose bleed nipple or perhaps the rod is not adjusted right and is pulling down too hard (common if a suspension lift has been installed).

Reply to
Roger Brown

the axle housing.

that part has both brake fluid lines and a metal rod that runs down to the axle connected to it. Perhaps it is the metal sensing rod you are referring to as the "differential

area and it is indeed brake fluid leaking, then likely the LSPV is leaking. Clean up the area with brake cleaner and see if you can ascertain the source of the leak. May be

right and is pulling down too hard (common if a suspension lift has been installed).

It's Toyota '93 Previa. The breather I am refering to is right on top of the differential housing. when i ran my fingers over it, I could see and feel the cap on top of breather tube is moveable. Does it mean o.k.? In fact, i saw your post with the website

andprompted me to investigate toward this direction- failing breather. Iam thrilled with your knowledge. You're right! There is a LSPV nearbreather. Recently, I just bled the brake fluid from the LSPV andother 4 brake cylinders. That's how I spotted that area with oil stainand collected dirts. That oil stain did not look like newly occured. Idon't understand what you mean by suspension lift? I replaced theshocks and struts one and half years ago. Is this what you mean? But,I never touched and adjusted that LSPV rod. Interesting thing is onlythe weel near LSPV had the oil stain. The brake system seems workingfinr. I've cleaned that area and keep an close eye on it. What shouldI investigate now?

Anyway, thanks for other guys' info too. I'll sheck the diff. gear oil tomorrow too. All the best, Matt

Reply to
Matt

The vehicle type was not mentioned and I assumed it may have been a 4WD pickup or 4Runner, but apparently not.

Probably, if you are so inclined, unscrew it and see if you can blow air though it. Its usually just a short piece of tubing sticking up with a cap on top.

On 4x4 pickups and 4Runners, its common to install lift springs or other suspension components to raise the vehicle up, usually for fitting larger than stock tires for off-road use. This increases the distance from the axle to the frame and affects the LSPV, since it uses that distance as a measure of the load in the rear of the vehicle and adjusts the rear brake bias accordingly. I.e. distance between frame and axle is low, high load assumed, maximum rear brake bias applied; distance from frame to rear axle large, light load assumed and rear brake bias reduced in order to prevent rear wheel lockup under braking. However, if the suspension is lifted, this can "tell" the LSPV to cut rear brake bias unless it is adjusted to compensate.

No, unless you raised the ride height above stock, this would have no affect.

Clean it up, as I mentioned, and see if you can find out if it is still leaking or not. Maybe its an old leak from the last time the brakes were bled and it was not cleaned up thoroughly or an old gear oil leak.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Roger,

It would help if you set your newsreader to wrap your lines at 70 characters or so.

or 4Runner, but apparently not.

it. Its usually just a short piece of tubing sticking up with a cap on top.

suspension components to raise the vehicle up, usually for fitting larger than stock tires for off-road use. This increases the distance from the axle to the frame and affects the

vehicle and adjusts the rear brake bias accordingly. I.e. distance between frame and axle is low, high load assumed, maximum rear brake bias applied; distance from frame to

prevent rear wheel lockup under braking. However, if the suspension is lifted, this can "tell" the LSPV to cut rear brake bias unless it is adjusted to compensate.

or not. Maybe its an old leak from the last time the brakes were bled and it was not cleaned up thoroughly or an old gear oil leak.

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I had made the same assumption, given the x-post to trucks.

However, the MY93 Previa RWD has a rear diff nearly identical to that of the 2WD truck; the AWD (not 4WD) system is, of course, quite a bit different and will have the related sensor and hyrdraulic lines.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

That is usually done on the reader's newsreader, try setting your newsreader's preferences to wrap incoming messages as needed.

Reply to
Roger Brown

preferences to wrap incoming messages as needed.

It is better to wrap your outgoing messages.

All news readers don't take care of that on incoming messages.

Just my opinion. Makes it much easier to read.

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

newsreader's preferences to wrap incoming messages as needed.

I do set my outgoing word wrap, but make it long enough so that it doesn't artificicially break up long URLs, etc. I always use a news reader that allows me to set my own word wrap, and I set it to fit inside the window size I happen to be using. Why limit the width to 70 characters if I'm reading news on a 1600 pixel wide screen?

Reply to
Roger Brown

newsreader's preferences to wrap incoming messages as needed.

artificicially break up long URLs, etc.

to fit inside the window size I happen to be using.

Well, my news reader (Forte Agent) allows me to wrap outgoing messages at 70 and still I am able to send long URL's that can be clicked on to view that are longer than 70 characters.

Not everyone has a 1600 pixel wide screen, either.

Just most people on the NG's wrap their outgoing messages for easier reading by most people.

The below link is longer than 70 characters and I think you should be able to click on it and go to it...

in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Yes, your posted link works, but some news and mail programs break up long URLs into multiple lines, I think mine does so that is one reason I leave the word wrap set fairly long.

I have systems from 800x600 up to 1024x1600 and if I set my reader to wrap at screen or window width, its always readable. If I read wrapped posts on a wide screen, half of it is blank, if I read them on a small screen (not capable of displaying 70 characters) I get one long line, then a short line, then another long one. That too is hard to read. Same thing happens if I shrink my news reader window down in size.

So, I'll post how I want and set my reader to how I want, you can set the word wrap in Forte Agent for incoming messages (I believe "O" is the hot key to toggle it on).

Reply to
Roger Brown

To bypass wrapping of URLs in most User Agents (newsreaders, email clients, etc), enclose them in brackets:

In my case, I use the real-estate to allow multiple windows open: a text editor set for wrap at 72 characters barely takes up 1/3rd of the screen: I read items from a thread in the other windows, etc.

It also makes replies in threads easier to read, and to reply to: for example, I had to manually break your lines above, as my user agent accepted the full line length, and doesn't wrap the included text in a reply.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

My news reader does this. If text is left in raw form, its easier to work with IMHO.

If I have a 60 column window and display 70 column word wrapped text, I get a 60 character line, then a 10 character line then another 60 character line then another

10 character line, and so on.
Reply to
Roger Brown