88 2WD Pickup, differential leaking at drive shaft input...

Hello all,

I noticed an orange-sized pool of gear oil in my driveway last evening. Had prior problems with leaks at the wheel seal, but replaced those almost 2 years ago and no trouble since. Now, the wheel seals are still dry, but gear oil is leaking out of the diff where it connects to the drive shaft.

Pretty sure there's just a seal that's dried out/cracked, etc (I don't drive this truck everyday, maybe once or twice a month, or when I have to wrench on my daily driver and need to go the parts store). I cleaned out the breather when I installed this axle after an accident (got it from a junkyard). Haven't driven this truck much since the repair, so I can't imagine it's clogged.

What's the difficulty level in changing the seal? I'm fairly mechanically inclined (done a head gasket job and many other small repairs on this truck and my Honda Civic), but I'm not sure how to proceed with this diff.

Any tips/pointer/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Long Live the 22R!!

Reply to
Bruce