frozen door locks

hi all,

i've got a 87 s10 blazer 4x4 with a frozen door lock on the passenger side. i've tried p.b. blaster on them as well as yanking on the linkage (working it back and forth) and so on. is there a way to get the lock mechanism out of the door shy of cutting the door with a torch? tia Jjj

Reply to
Jjj

Yup, yank the inner door panel, remove the window, then you can remove the latch handle/lock assembley and replace the key cylinder.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Open the door, roll up the window. remove the inner door panel, reach into the door and pull the actuator rod off the lock cylinder arm. Then pull the retainer clip off the back of the door panel. Lock cylinder will pull out then. Take it to a locksmith and he can make you up a new one.

Reply to
Steve W.

oops! my fault, i meant to say door catch assembly....any answers for this?

Reply to
Jjj

Yeah my above answer, just remove a different piece once you have the window out. There should be 3 torx screws holding it in.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

the Torx screws are on the outside of the door shell:

But what Doc did is give you access to the Torx head in the striker pin.

Respectfully submitted.

Refinish King

PS Doc, any luck on Quarters. If you're going to spend $450.00 on used, I'd go the extra &150.00 per quarter and replace the wheel house outers too. Then if you sell the car, you have receipts that you have the best on it. Also: apply rustproofing with wands and a flex hose, so it will never rust again!

Reply to
Refinish King

thanks guys, that was my guess as to what to do....although i didn't think that the striker pin would fit through the cut-out in the door for the door latch ass'y. thanks again, Jjj

Reply to
Jjj

well guys, as it happens the striker pin head will not fit through the little square hole in the door latch ass'y...i guess i'll be breaking out the ol' torch and cut that thing out of there! thanks anyway......

Reply to
Jjj