Having to replace Transmission

Hi Everyone, I bought a 1997 4 wheel drive GMC Jimmy with 98,000 miles on it a couple months ago. Yesterday, the transmission went out....reverse seems to be ok but seems like 3rd and 4th are out....at least that is what a friend told me : ) I am wondering is it better to have the transmission rebuilt or buy another one? Also, is it normal for a transmission to go with with this few miles on it? Thanks

Reply to
parysintherayn

Jimmy's and S10 Blazers aren't known for having a *strong* running gear.

Reply to
Advocate

Are you getting any codes? A solenoid on your transmission may have gone bad. At least that is what happened to me. It was a fairly simple fix. Might want to look at that before looking at a new transmission quite yet.

Reply to
John Manner

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your help. I had the Jimmy towed to a transmission shop. They called me today and said the truck already had a rebuilt transmission in it and they didn't think that was the problem. The guy said it was some kind of filter in the transmission plugged and some seals were broken and that almost all of the fluid had drained out. He said he had put some fluid in it this morning and drove it down the road without a problem. So, he is going to replace the seals, clean it out and something else i can't remember what he said...and it is going to cost me about 850.00 less then i thought....great news : ) Thanks again,Kimberly

Reply to
parysintherayn