Help!! 4WD

I've got a 95 Blazer with auto & 4wd. Found out in recent snowstorm that front wheels are not locking up; Transfer case does its job...both drive shafts are rotating, but front wheels are free-wheeling. Any suggestions for do-it-yourselfer as to possible fix or further inquiry?

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I may be completely wrong, but I thought that all Chevrolets after '89 or so engaged the front drive axles in the differential via a vacuum actuator in the S10s or a motorized actuator in the full size trucks. The drive shafts will always rotate with this setup. I think your problem may be in the actuator, but one of the readers (Who owns a full-size) on here can tell you for sure or not though.

-John '89 S10 Blazer

4.3L; 207K
Reply to
John Manner

This is an S-10 Blazer. I do not have a factory shop manual, and you may be right about the front drive shaft...I guessed it was engaged when the transfer case electric motor made its "shift", say to 2H. Can someone point me to this vacuum actuator or someplace in its system where it can be tested/checked?

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Ist step....did the 4WD indicator light on the floor shift assembly light up? my guess...probably not.

2st.....underneath the battery plate is a vacuum actuated diaphragm which engages the front differential.. That may not be getting vacuum thru a lever operated vacuum switch on the transfer case... Had mine go out a few months ago....aftermarket cost about 30 bucks

but also the diaphragm might be ripped or a vacuum hose split or worked it's way off the source

Reply to
ken

Under/around/behind your battery (or the OEM battery locator) if I am not mistaken.... If not there, I think it may be on the axle. /never worked on one before....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Reply to