Intake man/coolant leak

I'm getting ready to replace the intake manifold gaskets on a '91 K1500/350. I have a couple of questions I would like to try to get answered.

First, do I need to take the TBI unit off of the intake?

Second, does the distributor use an 'O' ring or a gasket to seal it? What size?

Any words of advice to make things go easy? I will have help, so that in itself will make things a little easier.

Thanks in advance, Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

you don't have to remove the tbi unit from the intake, you just have to disconnect the fuel lines and linkage from the tbi unit.

yes the distributor has a gasket......... fairly common GM

350 distributor gasket. You should get a new one in your intake gasket set. You can get these from just about any parts store.

change the engine oil and filter before you start the engine for the first time. Use good quality RTV sealant on the front and rear lip of the lifter valley (the front and rear bottom area where the intake mates to the engine block. I like fel-pro intake gaskets, GM even makes some good ones too. Mark the position of the distributor rotor button where you will be able to re-install the distributor back in the correct position and in time. If you have to remove any spark plug wires make sure and mark them and their position on the distributor...(assuming you are new at this)..

Make sure you change the oil !

Reply to
Elbert

Inline................................

Nope, but it would be a good idea to do so anyways and replace the intake-to-TBI gasket which is prone to leaking after 10 or so years.

Some had them, some didn't. Then again, maybe they all had them when new and by the time I get them they're long gone!

Don't rush, and for god's sake use a torque wrench! Also, I'd give the EGR port a good cleaning while you have the intake off.

You're welcome,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I see stains around the unit. Looks like it will come off after all.

distributor gasket. You should get a new one >in your intake gasket set. You can get these from just >about any parts store.

I was concerned about it being one of those items that was hard to come by.

Not a problem, but why?

their position on the distributor.... (assuming you are new at this)..

New to this type of repair, but not general maintanance:) Actually put a re-man in my Jeep a couple of years ago. Learned a lot.

Reply to
Retiredff

I see stains around it, now. Off it comes.

EGR port a good cleaning while you >have the intake off.

The torque wrench is my friend! I use it religiously on repairs. OK on the EGR port.

Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

"Retiredff" wrote

It's always cheap insurance when changing an intake manifold gasket. When you pull the manifold, inevitably some coolant goes into the valley and possibly down into the engine oil.

In our shop, we have to change the oil and filter after any engine work like an intake gasket replacement. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Sounds like a good enough reason, but in my mind, it would seem like it would be better to at least run the engine, so that whatever coolant has made its way inside could at least be 'washed' out by the oil.

Makes sense to anyone?

Reply to
Retiredff

OK. Some of the time, I think of things that really seem off the wall, but in hindsite, turn out to be good. In this case, I guess not.

Thanks to all. Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

You should take the TBI off and change the gasket. Also it makes it easier to flip the intake over and clean the intake surfaces.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Already decided to take care of that.

Thanks

Reply to
Retiredff

Reply to
Elbert

this is what you don't want to do.... best to change oil and filter up front before you run the engine after an intake job.

Reply to
Elbert

Nope. It is monet already spent:)

Thanks