Intake manifold studs

'91 K1500 350

I got the intake manifold off today, and need to find out if I have a problem that needs to be taken care of.

There is a small insert in each of the four holes where the studs go. Two of those inserts came out and are pretty mangled. I can't see that they actually do anything. Are they needed? Maybe used in the original engine assembly to speed production?

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

I believe these are gasket alignment inserts. You should have four, probably rusted and stuck to the hard as a rock OEM gaskets. I had reused mine, they help keep the gasket in place.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Re: Intake manifold studs Yep alignment inserts... Steve C Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Jan 15, 2004, 2:45am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Martin=A0Riddle) I believe these are gasket alignment inserts. You should have four, probably rusted and stuck to the hard as a rock OEM gaskets. I had reused mine, they help keep the gasket in place. Cheers "Retiredff" wrote in message news:QBlNb.7736$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... '91 K1500 350 I got the intake manifold off today, and need to find out if I have a problem that needs to be taken care of. There is a small insert in each of the four holes where the studs go. Two of those inserts came out and are pretty mangled. I can't see that they actually do anything. Are they needed? Maybe used in the original engine assembly to speed production? Thanks, Larry

Reply to
Steve Cook

That explains the prongs on them.

Thanks