Intake Gaskets

91 K1500 5.7L 168K

I am getting coolant leaks at the intake manifold. I am wanting to change the gaskets, but I remember a posting where there was a better/upgraded gasket set made. I just don't want to have to do this twice. Anything else anyone can think of that I should change while I'm in the area?

Thom

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

No sure about tif gaskets were upgrade on TBI motor like they were on Vortec 350's. I had intake gasket leaks twice on my 2000 in 40 K miles. GM fixed it for free last winter (first ime was under warranty) and "promised" to fix it for free if it eveer leaked again this time. BTW, you can use a reduced pressure radiator cap untill you repair it to slow leak down.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I have had good luck with felpro gasket sets.

Do not let this go too long or you will be replacing the manifold as well. The leaking will etch groves in the aluminum manifold. Since yur going to have the thing down for a while, I would replace the the timing chain set too. Not related, but if your going to have it down for a weekend, might as well have at that as well. The chain is stretched by now with the mileage you have on, and its easier to replace it before it breaks and scatters chain links all through the engine.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks Snoman.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Felpro it is then. I'll hope that I caught it in time. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy