Internal fuel pump replacement

At 110,000 miles the fuel guage sender unit in the tank has failed in my 1997 K1500, leaving me without a fuel guage. My dealer recomends replacing the fuel pump as well as the sending unit, as "the fuel pump generally fails at around 100,000 miles". Is this good advice? (It's certainly not cheap!)

I must confess I have worried about the fuel pump failing and stranding me 100 miles from nowhere since the truck was new. It seems to be the kind of failure that I would be unable to do anything about, either before or after!

Are there any warning signs of failure that I should be watching for? I don't notice any new or different noises, nor any excessive "on-cycle" operation.

What sort of experiences with this have others had?

Thanks . . . Kurt

Kurt Herzog

Grants Pass, Oregon

Reply to
Kurt P. Herzog

Mike Levy

Re: Internal fuel pump replacement Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jan 12, 2004, 8:19pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@levyclan.nospam.us (Mike=A0Levy) I had the tank and sender on my old truck (a 94) replaced in the spring of '01, I think, those records are put away right now. I had the pump replaced this past Aug., at 115,000 or so on the truck. IMO, if you can afford to replace the pump at this time, do it. Mine failed with a full tank of gas (I had filled up 4 miles before it went). It won't cost you any extra in labor to do, though with a pickup it's easier than with an SUV, just pop the bed off the truck. I had to pay to drop the tank 2 times, I think it was 2 hours of labor for the entire job both times. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:52:10 -0800, Kurt P. Herzog wrote: At 110,000 miles the fuel guage sender unit in the tank has failed in my

1997 K1500, leaving me without a fuel guage. My dealer recomends replacing the fuel pump as well as the sending unit, as "the fuel pump generally fails at around 100,000 miles". Is this good advice? (It's certainly not cheap!) I must confess I have worried about the fuel pump failing and stranding me 100 miles from nowhere since the truck was new. It seems to be the kind of failure that I would be unable to do anything about, either before or after! Are there any warning signs of failure that I should be watching for? I don't notice any new or different noises, nor any excessive "on-cycle" operation. What sort of experiences with this have others had? Thanks . . . Kurt Kurt Herzog Grants Pass, Oregon

To be honest most of the time it will just go out before you know it.....Id go get the pressure checked to make sure its it still has enough life in it....Or you can just wait untill the day you goto start it and the engine just cranks...Your dealer is right...Changed too many of them to argue about that....It isnt cheap but well worth it..Atleast youll save on diagnostic time for when you have to tow it in and they try to find out what is wrong with it....This way you know save on a tow bill diagnostic time and that pissed off feeling we get when we should have done something but didnt ...And the wife knows about it and it just happens to mess up when she is in the truck.....MY LORD MAN take it to the shop...lol Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

I concure.. just have it changed out.. I just did mine at almost 97K miles. The sender was way wacked up and on 3-4 occasions in the last 4 months it failed to start on the first crank.. So I knew it was going.. mine was done under warranty and only cost me $90.95. but the invoice to the warranty company said around $550. Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter