well, I'm annoyed. my 91 K1500 last year had a rich running problem with
1. rich smelling exhaust (very rich, most of the time)
2. VERY poor fuel economy
3. noticable increase in power
4. back of throttle body area had lots of buildup from puking FPR
that was rectified by installing a TBI rebuild kit and essentially replacing
all the gaskets and the FPR bladder (believe the bladder was the culprit).
things got much better, economy came back and it didn't stink anymore.
SOOOO...the other day I do some simple maintenance. clean the K+N filter,
top up fluids, etc. next day I notice significant power increase, and
figure that the filter being clean did it (not!). it seems like my fuel
economy is going again....$20 cdn would get me about 130 or so KM
consistently. my last fill I had to push it to get over 100 KM. Just
filled up today, so will check it out....
the kicker...I pull the air cleaner assembly off to check things out. Man,
what a stink!! major raw fuel smell coming from the throttle body assembly.
what I saw
1. no fuel leaks that I could discern easily...fuel lines and such dry
2. all the throttle body screws were tight
3. injector spray pattern seems clean and solid
4. powered on ignition, no leaking injectors
5. once warm, the truck really doesn't smell rich on the exhaust (not near
as bad as last time)
tell me guys, whats the deal? the truck starts and runs perfect. the only
reason I know there's a problem is with calculated fuel efficiency and the
strong raw fuel smell coming from the throttle body area. No other leaks,
throttle body clean, etc....can you suggest what else to look at in this
picture? If it makes any difference, my cheapo parts-store muffler from 2
years ago is now leaking....spurt, spurt spurt (I read somewhere that
leaking exhaust fools the truck to see a too lean condition??) thanks for