My MKIII Running rich??

Hello, I'm not really sure but I think my 97 Golf, 1.8l, 8v with 224,000 kms is running too rich or something is wrong.

Some symptoms: Tail pipe very black - When I clean it off, black comes back. Smell of exhaust - no exhaust leaks, just fixed them. Found previous owner gutted cat - Probably associated with exhaust smell? Low gas mileage - 400 kms a tank Plugs get fouled very easily - Just changed a few weeks ago, Black and 2 were oil soaked. Oil coming from plugs on Cylinder 1 & 3. Sometimes car has hesitation - mostly when cold. Ticking/clanking sound all the time.

What could be the problem. Any suggestions or comments would be of help.

I know these are a lot symptoms, and are not all related, but I'm just throwing them all out there.

Thanks,

Steve Cornick

1997 Golf K2 1.8l, 8V 224,000 KMS original kms on original engine.
Reply to
VWGolf

this points to bad oxi sensor and or leaking inyector and or bad temp sensor.

this two point to rings bad and or valve seals bad.

this points to bad lifters.

old age and badly cared for engine. may be ready for a rebuild, or at least takeing the head out to fix it.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Sounds like all that carbon is also clogging the internals; stuck rings, fouled valves, etc.

Two things to consider- you need to get this thing purged and you need to get this thing into a good shop were they can set your air to fuel ratio correctly.

If it's running too rich to correct (well overcome) another problem, of course the underlying trouble needs fixing 1st.

hth, TBerk

Thanks for your comments! I figured the Oxi Sensor was going bad...Not sure about the injector, only one injector on my car, Mono-Motronic. Temp sensor on the Rad? I think I replaced that.

Someone else told me it was Rings/Valve Seals/Lifters going bad.

Hmm...How hard would be to replace all that myself? How much $$ would it be?? I guess once the Head is off it should be a simple remove and replace. I have a few Grease Monkey Friends, so If I'm ever stuck....I got lots of beer to go around!! :-)

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.

Steve

Reply to
VWGolf

there is anotherone where the hose from the radiator to the engine connects. replace that one too..

maybe. test compression to be sure....

Take the head out and send it for a rebuilt exchange. If compression was bad, take the pistons out and rering them. Most complicated part of that will be take the engine out and back in...

Monomotronic is as simple as it can be. As long as you reassemble everything back the way it was it should be no problem.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski