leaf springs

Does anyone know if adding an extra leaf is the way to lift my box an inch or two? The torsion bars have been tweaked to raise the truck and the front is higher by an inch or two. No other lift stuff that I can see but it really bugs me that it isn't level.

Thanks, Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

yeah adding a leaf wii raise it a little not sure how much with a box on it though

Reply to
Steve Cook

If its not the 1 - 2" that it will take to get it level, I hope they don't do it without telling me first. I think for a little more, I could have them all replaced with new.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

if you add a leaf spring, then add an OEM spring, not an "add-a-leaf" or you'll be kicking yourself if you ever put a good heavy load on it. Put in a full length GM spring that you can get at a junk yard or something like that.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

you could have them all replaced with new but it still might not be level without adding one for some reason manufacture allow you to raise the front but leaves the back still sitting low meaning if you raplace the leafs with new your just resetting the rear to manufacture specs and the specs dont have the bars tweeked up in front a good shop who does this should know how high they can get it have them garrentee that with one they will be able to level it which leaves them in a verbal contract that they have to comply with or return the truck back to where it was my brother works at a body shop where his boss said they would do one thing and it didnt happened and they thought oh well untill the guy sued them.Ive done many body and suspension lifts before but raised the whole truck havent leveled it out before personally but have seen it where the bars were tweeked all the way and they added only a leaf and it leveled out just fine.

Reply to
Steve Cook

You could re arch the springs you have now. take them out and take them apart and get your self a pice of C chanel place it on the ground with the flat side down and put the leaf across it and tap the spring from end to end not to hard turn it around and do it again them do the next one If your not care full you could put so much ark in them you wont be able to put them back in If you want a inch lift just re ark them 1/4 inch if you re ark them all 1 inch you will have a like a 3 inch lift when you put them back together also you may need a slightly longer main leaf depending how much you ark them good luck!

Reply to
John

"add-a-leaf" or

something like

chanel

across

Sounds like a Blacksmithing trick. I've worked with spring steel before but was never able to get it to hold any shape or length I wanted. Worth reading up on if you can find it I guess. I sure don't think you can heat them to any appreciable degree without loosing "spring." I really doubt the spring could be rejuvenated in old springs. Once its gone, its gone I believe. But I don't make that claim with certainty.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

"add-a-leaf" or

I wondered about this too, glad you mentioned it. It must be the reason for differences in the prices I've found. I better call the guy back that I ordered today from, cause he said he could get me the add in spring for $45 pc., and install them for $45 pc. That sounded pretty good considering other price ranges were from a total of $350 to $450. As far as I know, these are not the kind of springs that attach on the outside of the leaf spring cluster. It goes right in with the rest of them, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldnt' be as tough as an OEM spring though. I'll see what he says.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Do yourself a favor and go to your local spring shop and ask them. They probably deal with this all the time. They may even have some new shackles that will bring the back up. Had a buddy of mine do the same thing as you cranked up the front and then brought up the rears but I don't recall exactly how, but I know it wasn't with new springs. I think he used new shackles. If you cranked the front up that high you might want to spend the $35 for an alignment. Good Luck JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.

Brandonb

DJ Hatt wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Re: leaf springs Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 11:40am From: snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (Brandon=A0Buckner) Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.

Brandonb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

because his body lines wouldn't match up with the cab

Scribs Abell (are you)

Reply to
Scribb Abell

.... leaf springs Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Sep 28, 2003, 1:46am From: snipped-for-privacy@lycosSPAM.com (DJ=A0Hatt)

Does anyone know if adding an extra leaf is the way to lift my box an inch or two?

The torsion bars have been tweaked to raise the truck and the front is higher by an inch or two. No other lift stuff that I can see but it really bugs me that it isn't level.

Thanks, Hatt

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 11:40am From: snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (Brandon Buckner) Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.

Brandonb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

because his body lines wouldn't match up with the cab

Scribs Abell (are you)

Uhhh.... Since when did lift blocks screw up body lines?? Ah, you mean body lift blocks. Who uses those anyway?

Reply to
highrider71

here's a novel thought.... why not just let off on the torsion bar adjusters and drop the front until it's level? best solution of all... suspension operates as designed and it's free.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

recall

Thanks JRE, I hear ya. I'm double checking trying to get consensus before I act, and you have been very helpful, it checks out as far as i can see!

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

meant to

Hi Brandon, There wouldn't probably be any problem at all if I'd known about it, but you check out in line with what I've found out too!

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 11:40am From: snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (Brandon Buckner) Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.

Brandonb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

because his body lines wouldn't match up with the cab

Scribs Abell (are you)

Thats good to know too!!!

Thanks Scribes,

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

leaf springs

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Sep 28, 2003, 1:46am From: snipped-for-privacy@lycosSPAM.com (DJ Hatt)

Does anyone know if adding an extra leaf is the way to lift my box an inch or two?

The torsion bars have been tweaked to raise the truck and the front is higher by an inch or two. No other lift stuff that I can see but it really bugs me that it isn't level.

Thanks, Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

suspension

Very able reply Bret. I've talked about this with those I've checked with too. As I know I've said, at least once, somewhere! I didn't raise the torsion bars, but even though I didn't, I doubt they aren't intended to be raised, or they wouldn't be raisable, would they? [Trying to make sense out of GM anymore has become a lost cause]. I know its perfect sense, [for them]. But, not knowing for sure, I bought the thing that way. I didn't notice that it wasn't intended to be that way I "just wanted it." I learned all I did wrong as I go, as usual. You see, its my first 4wd, because its the first time I've ever really needed one. I'm glad to have gotten this first hand experience however, even though its nearly "broke" me. Can't say its really anyones fault but mine. You know, the "buyer beware thing?" Also note that, as I thought I said too, the tires are not stock size, and weren't when I bought the thing. I din't know, and I should have been more attentive. Well, anyway, I put 5 new Bridgestones on it at a cost of $600.00 the same size, and now I suppose I'm screwed. My fault again. I'm just trying to adjust, and really am appreciative of all the help.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

No they are adjustable to set correct ride height, not to raise the vehicle. Oh and you had better hope that the front end alignment has been reset or you will find out the other reason you don't just jack up the truck with the torsion bars (the alignment and steering geometry get thrown off) it chews up tires real fast. I can't help you with the tire size BUT the correct size is on a sticker on the drivers door, and on the tag in the glove compartment.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.