47-54 chevy dropped axle

anyone know just what the difference is between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton front axle and spindles, or better yet post the measurement of the king pin diameter and boss thickness of a 1/2 ton. I know the track width is the same, and if its just larger king pins i could bore out a classic performance

3" dropped 1/2 ton axle to fit the 3/4 ton spindles, I don't want to have to use 1/2 ton spindles as I have already setup the ones i have with disc brakes.

thanks

Reply to
Kruzer

I know that for stock axles:

The 3/4 Ton axles are built to take larger king pins and heavier spindles.

You could not put 3/4 ton spindles on 1/2 Axles safely, even if by machining you could make it fit.

Also the locking pins wouldn't work.

So I wouldn't try it. It might be unsafe.

I don't have the exact measurements for the king pin diameters, but as I remember for the 1/2 tons it is about .86 inches. The 3/4 Tons have about a 1.10 in diameter.

You might simply consider using a stock 3/4 Ton front axle. It should fit the 1/2 ton truck. The connecting rod to the steering column should be the same for 3/4 and 1/2 tons

You can take the 3/4 ton axles to one of those heavy truck repair outfits and they will install new king pins. They are probably too difficult to install without special equipment.

check out

Carl Goss

that would be possible, annother option is to have your axle dropped. We can drop your axle for you. if you are interested, contact me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to