Torsion bar question (yes another)

New to the IFS world after many year of TTB fords. Want to raise the front a bit for new 285/75/16 tires on my 2000 GM using torsion bars. I will do an alignment with the new tires but my question is how much can I realistically get and still maintain proper geometry? I was underneath today and the bolts were turned in different amounts. The drivers side had much more preload put on it ( 5 threads showing ) and the passenger side was NOT turned in nearly as much (10 threads showing roughly?). Is this normal? Possible someone was playing with it before - used truck? How do they look when the truck is new? Any thoughts or comments,

Oh yeah, does anyone know how to get the Theftlock Audio ID Code for a used truck?

Thanks in advance Danno

Reply to
mxz1972

"mxz1972" wrote in message news:nhVvb.467079$pl3.363485@pd7tw3no...

realistically

I'm no auto tech guru, but I did have the chance to work one summer at he local GM factory making Yukons Tahoes, Suburban and Escellade SUVs. Spent one week working the toe-in pit. Finished unit would drive on top, and rolers would start turning wheels while lasars tracked vehicle drift, i adjusted toe and locked in at certain numbers, some trucks would take only a few turns of the tie rod, others would take a heckovalot of adjustment. Same machine also adjusted the "z" Before i jumped up under the truck risers would reach up to the frame, and robotic wrences would reach up and adjust the adjustment screws on the "pork chops" to level the truck, think some tilt was built in to accommodate the weight of a typical driver. Due to many different variables in assembly it is reasonable to assume that one side may need more work than the other, just like the tierods for toe (camber tho is miraculously set in stown by setting computer drilled cams right after A-arms are hung) I had worked on the frame line before on most jobs related to torsion bar installation and its amazing how many variables can be on them, something like 6 different bars we used, each in Left/Right sides, and had to be loaded pointing one direction, improper bar on improper side or direction would really eff it all up. Me thinks as long as the vehicle is level, even perhaps a tiny amount high on the driver side, there is no need to adjust. But if you try and use the torsion bars strictly to get lift on the front end you will REALLY screw up the geometry of the front end, and it will be necessary to throw it on an alignment rig and reshoot that. But overall i don't think you will have a lot of effect on torsion bar adjustment alone... I'd be surprised if you can get much out of the adjustment. I'm no front end tech but i would bet that there are better ways to get front end lift then torsion bars, if you want it to still work properly anyway.

Reply to
nooneimportant

this one will cost money, if you use google you can do it for free all you have to do is take the time and look.

Reply to
18436572