Need Help to Help Myself! GMC 4x4

I need a bit of guidance to assist me with rebuilding my rear 1 ton differencial. The truck is a 1981 GMC Sierra, I don't think the running gear is stock...regardless I'm hoping the process is similar for all GMC/Chev 1 ton & Dayna60 rear axles? My girlfriend works at an autoparts store, I can get a diff kit for about $80 Canadian... the estimates I have gotten at automotive shops have been about $1400.... this I find rediculous. I'm gonna do it myself ! Damn their oily hides...Grrrr..

Anyways, moving right along...

I would like instruction so I don't wreck anything or find myself not able to get something apart (without breaking it that is..) Any Information would be greatly appreciated.

James

Reply to
Newsgroups

The only advice I can give you is to shop around and get a price for the labor (probably less then $500). You buy the parts and let a shop do the rebuild for you. It is not an easy job. It takes a real talent and even then it will be a full days work for a master and a helper. No non-mechanic that I know has been able to do one and get it right.

I find it hard to believe you are going to get the gear sets, all bearings, both half-shafts and seals for $80 CD. I bet the $1400 they quoted you was for a total rebuild including the half-shafts, seals, gear sets and all bearings. If so then this is not a bad price (well maybe a little high but not bad). As far as instruction, well go buy a book there are too many steps to write into a text message and the pictures are worth a thousand words. You may consider just going to a junk yard and getting a used axle. It probably will be cheaper in the end and a lot less work. I have posted a link to junk yards that have their inventory on line. Do a search for one in your area. This way it is factory build and you and a friend can be done in a few hours. The junk yard will take the old axle (for free) with no problems. It's not the answer you wanted but it is good advice. Oh and if you go to shops that only work on trucks you may find the price to be better. Small automotive shops don't this kind of work normally so they may consider this to be a premium service. A truck shop would do this type of work everyday and to them it as common as an oil change.

good luck, mark

rock_doctor

"Newsgroups" wrote

Those bastards! Wanting to charge you 1400 to overhaul a Dana rear end....unbelievable! And those are such an "easy" rear end to rebuild.

Don't worry about instructions.....it's a piece of cake. Just start ripping and tearing and you will have yourself a freshly overhauled rear axle in no time flat. Damn those automotive shops for trying to "steal" your money. Bastards!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yep, do it yourself, I hope you have a bunch of spare parts laying around. Personally I think a good gear shop has a bunch of voodoo priests in the back. I hate gear work because it is VERY EASY to screw up a gear set. I also hope you have a lot of the special tools needed already since those will cost you around 500.00 bucks alone.

Have fun

Reply to
Steve W.