need more amps for winch on 78 chevy?

hi all,

I was using my 9000 kbs Warn winch on a 78 chevy 4x4 to pull up shrubs today and my alternator didn't have the juice to run it. it would drain the battery and i'd have to wait for it to build up enough power to run it. All the auto parts places i've called says the 78 350 uses a 63 amp alternator, but i can't find any thing that puts out more power? Anybody know what i can do to get enough just to run it without having to go to some dual battery setup?

thanks TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

First off, A Dual Battery Setup is not expensive to add to a 73 to 87 C/K Truck (Deisel factory parts from a junk yard). Second Dual Batteries with a Electric winch help keep the winch supplied with enough "juice" that it does not put a sevre load on the charging system.

As for Alternators, you can run a Later Model TBI R/V Chassis 105 Amp. Bolts in place, changew the fan and pulley to yours.Alternators work the same no matter directionof rotaion. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I just checked the advance auto parts web site

for a 78 K pickup 350 engine and they show tto alternators that are 100AMP or more.

You can order one of these through their web site, if you don't have a local store.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

Use a SNATCH BLOCK and u will not Drain the Battery so fast !!

Reply to
no one