Stealth winch for P38A

OK so I do a little green laneing, which is fun, but this leaves me looking enviously at friends with winches. I've sat and waited while somebody got pulled out and mumbled that I wouldn't have been fool enough to go down that hole but...

Does anybody know a way I can fit a winch to a 96 HSE Rangie without a massive front end resculpturing job? I'm a novice at this sort of thing so if the answer is obvious please explain slowly but everything I've seen is a bit brutal for something that was mainly bought as a big dive boat tow truck. (No I don't take the kids to school in it. They've grown up.)

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Very few off roaders actually have vehicle mounted winches. Yeah there are always the exreme bunch but a hand winch can be equally as effective for a fraction of the price. It doesn't make your car look like a wrecker and It's also a great incentive to work out a better route next time.

If you fo insist on getting a vehicle mounted winch then you have a number of other modifications to consider to factor into the cost. Such as Dual batteries if you don't already have them, and good ones. Also a heavy duty Alternator with a high end output alond with a split charge system. Alternative is a hydraulic winch which have manay advantanges but need the engine running to work. I've a fleet of landrovers and only posses a hand winch which is really only of use for mauling disabled vehicles / caravan around when not up to the axles. My other option is a rope and a friend or local farmer. Infinately cheaper then a Winch.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Warn sells a platform that slides into a receiver hitch that you mount between the frame rails at the front of your vehicle. I have one of these on my 97 Disco. Allows me to keep the 65 pounds off the front end when not needed. Don't know if they make one that fits the Range Rover but perhaps a Disco version could be modified if necessary. Check the Warn website. Dual batteries would be nice but I don't think they are essential. If you have friends nearby they can always jump start your vehicle if you should run the battery down and then stall it (or just shut off the engine and then find it will not crank over). I also think you stock alternator is fine as it is probably something like

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

Have you got any links or pictures for this mounting system ? I had a quick look at the Warn website but they don't seem to recognise the Discovery in their vehicle listings. Of course I may be looking in the wrong place !

Thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson

Bearmach do one - unforunatly we can't supply you one courtesy Land Ranger Services.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Can't help you much as the unit was on the vehicle when I bought it. I looked at the Warn site and what I have is the "Multi-mount". As you say, they do not list Land Rover in the receiver application table. The one they show in the picture has the mounting going over the top of the frame rail. My mount goes between the frame rails and is held in place by two bolts on each side. It is a perfect fit so I assume it is a factory job, not home-made. Its also possible that its not a Warn product. I just assumed so as it has a Warn winch mounted on it. Perhaps send them an email?

Reply to
Gordon Wedman