NP208 to NP205 swap...

What are the differences in size between these two cases, assuming they both came out of a Chevy truck (not a F.O.R.D. or other version...)??? I'm just curious whether I'd need any adapters or a longer/shorter driveshaft or anything. It'll be bolting on the back of a 700R4.

My 208 has metal shavings in the oil, and I found a 205 locally for around $100. I know the 205 is a stronger case, and there's a kit available now to swap in a 3:1 low-range gearset.

Thanks,

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The 700R4 never came attached to a NP205 so they will be spline count issues to deal with for starters. Also depending on 205 there may be bolt patern issues too. THen you will have to modify Tcase cross membermount. T case weighs about 100 lbs more too. THe 208 is not a bad Tcase if it is not over torqued on input/poutput with tall gears and big tires and serviced regularly. THere is the LoMax mod for the

205 and the twin stick option for them too. It is a strong case without doubt. I would sugest though that you go the route of a 205 with a 203 panetary bolted to it instead as it will give you a 3 speed Tcase (1 to 1, about 2 to 1 and about 4 to 1) and it is not a hard mod to do. It will require a longer front drive shaft and shorter rear one and T case cross member located further back. You can find info on this mod at link below and you could still twin stick with it too. It is one sweet mod!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Even I can't believe this BS. And you sign with an official sounding sigfile to make it legit. Oh brother! What do you do, scan books so you can sound like an expert?

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

If you think this is bad info, do you think could you at least be helpful and post why? At the very least, please don't hijack this thread and turn it into *yet another* anti-Snoman thread.

If you disagree, that's fine...But don't bother posting if you're not going to offer alternate info.

Thanks,

~jp

On Jan 28, 8:38 am, The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

You are unreal. You do know that a 700R4 has a different output shaft length than the trannies that were normally used with a NP205 right and that the input shaft spline count on a 205 varies with application? (even GM used to different input spline with automatic and manuals) If you did "know" you would not make such stupid comments. Sure it can be done but it is not a bolt together thing and will need at the very least a adaptor of some kind or a output shaft change on the 700R4. The bolt partern on back of 700R4 should mated but the shafts as shipped stock will not!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

BTW... I posted this same question at coloradoK5.com. Now, I'm sure the average poster there has no more or less general wrenching experience than the average post here, however, the answer I got was the same as Snoman's. FWIW, that whole website is pretty much dedicated to modded K5's and there's more than a few people on there that've swappepd 205's into K5's originally equipped with 208's.

Among the details mentioned were spline count, adapters, etc...Same as Snoman.

~jp

On Jan 28, 8:38 am, The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I would suggest though that you go the route of a 205 with a 203 planetary bolted to it instead as it will give you a 3 speed Tcase (1 to 1, about 2 to 1 and about 4 to 1) and it is not a hard mod to do. It will require a longer front drive shaft and shorter rear one and T case cross member located further back. You can find info on this mod at link below and you could still twin stick with it too. It is one sweet mod! I would suggest you spends lots of money doing a really neat mod. DIDN'T EVEN ASK WHAT USE THE TRUCK WILL GET.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Snoman doesn't have to ask. He's been involved in half the threads concerning my truck for at least a couple of years. He knows the direction I'm going with it. He also knows that even I don't know how far I may want to go in the future, and therefore I'm building a little heavier-duty than necessary to allow for future expansion.

Anything else?

~jp

On Jan 28, 7:25 pm, The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Do not break your arm patting yourself on the back because your are pretty much in the troll catagory too with some of the others. BTW you have it backwards, if you need simple help call you (very simple) otherwise do not.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I bet your favorite movie is Alice in Wonderland...

Reply to
aarcuda69062