NP208 transfer case leak

I've got a 1986 GMC 4x4 half-ton pickup with a New Process 208 transfer case. I have noticed a leak coming from the 208's output seal. I removed my rear drive shaft and slipped it out of the 208. I am unsure how best to remove the output seal from this transfer case, and I would rather not damage it if possible. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
seads4x4

If your putting a new one in, why worry about the old one?Rip it out of their and tap the new one in. The only dammage I would worry about is dont scratch and gouge the inner surface of the seal housing.

Reply to
snay

I agree!

Use a large flat-head screwdriver and pry it out being careful not do anything other than remove the seal.

Tap a new one in, check the driveshaft yoke for a warn grove that might be assisting the leaking!

Reply to
Shades

I alway put some sealant around outside of new seal and make sure case hole is clean too. I also use a block of wood with a heavy mallet/hammer to tap it evenly into place and seat it.

SnoMan