Output shaft and transfer case

Transfer case went bad on my 95 GSX automatic and had it replaced at a local garage. The mechanic had a hard time removing it from the shaft from the transmission. Now there is tranny fluid coming from the output seal and the shaft itself slides outwards a couple of inches. The mechanic told me that the seal was probably damaged from the transfer case. He didn't sound real sure about anything that was happening. Does this sound right?, or did the mechanic apply to much pressure when prying the t-case from the shaft and possibly dislodged something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.......

Reply to
bearcat500

There's a shaft seal in the transmission case that can get damaged. Its tedious but not impossible to replace. There's also a shaft seal on the transfer case too. The shaft will move a bit, but I seem to recall there's a snap ring on one end.

You also need to VERIFY that the transfer you now have is for an automatic, as (in the 1G) the auto and manual transfer have slightly different ratios. Put the wrong one in and you will a) chew up the transfer again, and/or b) chew up your rear diff (also a different ratio to the manual) , or c) burn out your viscous coupler in the transmission ($1100 part)

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Transfer case went bad on my 95 GSX automatic and had it replaced at a local garage. The mechanic had a hard time removing it from the shaft from the transmission.

Now there is tranny fluid coming from the output seal and the shaft itself slides outwards a couple of inches.

The mechanic told me that the seal was probably damaged from the transfer case. He didn't sound real sure about anything that was happening.

Does this sound right?, or did the mechanic apply to much pressure when prying the t-case from the shaft and possibly dislodged something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......

The shaft SHOULD NOT plunge in and out!! or slide....if'n that's the term you prefer.

Has this thing been test driven after the new transfer case was installed?

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The mechanic has not installed the new one yet because I wanted to find out why the shaft is sliding outwards atleast couple of inches plus it now is leaking tranny fluid. With the old t-case on, it did not leak any tranny fluid. I'm afraid the mechanic applied to much force when getting the old t-case off...

Reply to
bearcat500