94 Bonnevile Scan Tool

Recently purchase a scan tool for my laptop to aid in diagnosing problems on vehicles with OBD II. Seems to work great on 96 and up vehicles, but I need software for OBD I to use on my 94 Bonneville. Anyone know where I could find it?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff & Carol

Not only would you need software for OBD I but a connector as well that will work with that software and you laptop. The connectors vary greatly before the OBDII standard. Where did you get your laptop software/hardware at?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I bought the software and connector with cable for OBD II from Autoenginuity.com, found it on Ebay. It's pretty cool, you can even download software from their site to give you 1/4 time and speed as well as

0-60 which also calculates your horsepower. It also connects to all cars since 1996, GM, Ford, Chrysler, as well as Asian and European. I have tried it on Ford and GM only so far. My 94 Bonneville SSEi had a 16 pin connector, which I have, but the software I need to communicate must be different, I did try to connect but it will not recognize the OBD I system.
Reply to
Jeff & Carol

Ok be carefull hooking that stuff up like that or you might fry=20 something. The autoenginuity software was only designed for their obd II=20 connector for the most part. There is nothing in common with OBD I or II=20 that will allow you to see anything.=20 This hookup you got, I would find out who made it and if they make=20 software for it. If its a hookup for a scan tool and not a pc I wouldnt=20 go using it. There are obd forums on the web. If I were you I would use=20 a google search and/or yahoo groups to try and find help on those. There=20 are also obd I hookups and software for laptops but they're pricey.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Do a search on the web for GM ALDL.

Reply to
Taz

Actually 94-95 are real strange years for OBD1 and OBD2 GM actually used something called OBD1.5 on some vehicles, it has an OBD2 style connector and some OBD2 sensors, BUT it also uses OBD1 stuff and talks using parts of both systems. Makes them VERY interesting to use a scan tool on.

Reply to
Steve W.