Oil Pressure Gauge 89 Blazer S-10

Can anyone tell me what would make the gauge bob up and down and then drop to near nothing... then I get a warning light "Check Gauges". Help me please

Reply to
myozzer

How many miles on the motor?

My neighbor's Ford Ranger had only 100K before his oil pressure dropped to near zero (needed a new block)

PS Have you checked to see if you have any oil in the pan

Reply to
ken

Is it a 4.3 or 2.8 engine?????????

If it's a 2.8, you might as well start looking for a new 3.4 to replace it.!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Old Hippy

Its has 135,000 miles on it, their is oil in the pan. My first thought was the sending unit as well, but do I need someone else to change that or can I do it myself?

Reply to
myozzer

The engine is 4.3 sorry forgot to add that

Reply to
myozzer

You will need a special deep socket for the sending unit (KD tool #2372..maybe 10 bucks)....and it's a bit hard to get to...BUT first hook up a oil pressure guage (if you can beg, borrow or steal one from someone) to the block just to make sure the sending unit's the problem and that you don't have actual low oil pressure....(sound of a large can of worms opening)

Reply to
Flakey714

Now I have a new problem.... During acceleration I get this nasty smell of oil... it then goes away but once I get in the gas again its there again... Please help.

Reply to
myozzer

you're probably leaking oil onto the exhaust system....perhaps a valve cover gasket or from the oil pressure sending unit..(did you change it?)

do you have a remote oil filter? The lines have been known to leak as does the o-ring on the cover that attaches to the block..it's located right near the exhaust pipe, oil can blow onto it and boil off...K

Reply to
ken

I haven't changed the sending unit yet, but will be doing that in the next few days, I figured I should try to fix everything at once. I also have an acceleration problem, my guess is I need a new fuel filter. The oil thing is just more important right now. Thanks Ken for your advice.

Reply to
myozzer

What is a remote oil filter? Forgive me but I don't know that much about cars. (female)

Reply to
myozzer

It is a set of pressure hoses and a mount that relocates your oil filter from the side of the block to the inner fender just behind your driver's side headlight. The S-series trucks with 4wd and the 4.3L engine had these setups. The check is to simply pop the hood and see if your oil filter is behind the headlight or not.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

it's best to locate the oil leak B4 replacing unnecessary and expensive goodies...And it's not always easy when oil seems to be everywhere...I might suggest an El Cheepo Engine Cleaning at the $0.25 car wash (be sure to keep the alternator as dry as possible)

Reply to
ken