oil pressure gauge

I have a 97 tj 4 cyl. 5 speed when I start it up, check gauges light comes on. It only stays on about 5 min. but my oil pressure gauge goes up and down. it will stay in the middle for awhile then drop down to 20 then might stay there or go back up. It never goes above the center but drops down for no reason.Has anybody else had this problem. Thanks Rick

Reply to
RJDJCD

Yep.. Check and clean the connector on the pressure sender (usually right by the oil filter) Sender might be flakey.

Reply to
DougW

I'm having this same problem, well, almost the same. My guage is showing zero pressure, although the jeep is running fine. Guage starts to move up, then falls down and the "Check Guages" light comes on. My question for the group is, if there was actually a problem with something in the oil pump, wouldn't I get a check engine light instead, or both lights lit? I've had problems with the guages before, I'm not sure if this is a more serious issue, or if it's just something related to the electrical problems I've had before. I have a 97 Jeep TJ by the way...

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas Kincaid

If there were an actual problem with the oil pump you would have one dead Jeep now. This sounds like an electrical problem, possibly with the sender.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

So, you think it's ok to drive it 5 miles to the dealer? I would think I would see the temperature guage rise if there were in fact problems with the oil. I just don't want to screw up anything worse then it is.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas Kincaid

If there were actual problems with the oil, what you would see and hear would be loud noises followed by the engine seizing up, and eventually a two thousand dollar plus repair bill. The temperature gauge might not be affected at all. If this is a brand new problem, and you don't have tools to trouble shoot it yourself, then it might be best to have it towed the five miles to the dealer. Better safe than sorry.

If you are capable of changing the oil sender unit yourself though, I would do that first and see what happens.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's probably best that I just get the thing towed. I'd hate to seize the engine just to save 40 bucks on towing.

message

Reply to
Dallas Kincaid

Well, I bit the bullet and just drove it to the shop this morning. No problems. I've read on several places that it's possible it could be a cam bearing. Any thoughts?

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas Kincaid

Jeep oil pressure senders crap out all the time...

Mike

Dallas K>

Reply to
Mike Romain