Overtorqued S-series hub assembly?

Quick question (I'll spare you the long story). Would overtorquing the axle nut on the front hub/bearing assembly on a 4wd S-series damage the bearing? Spec is 183-185 ft/lbs.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

I can't see that. The bearings are designed internally so that you cannot apply more preload to the bearing then they want. Unless you are talking some ridiculous figure over and above the factory spec.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I didn't think so either since the female splined portion is one solid piece.

I'm talking in the range of somewhere around 225ft/lbs. I replaced my squealing bearing with a new one and tightened it as much as I could with a breaker bar. The next day the new one started squealing so I borrowed a torque wrench to torque it properly. I suppose it could be defective...?

Reply to
SBlackfoot